[Xmca-l] Re: Solidnet | CP of Turkey, Statement of TKP on the transformation of Hagia Sophia into a mosque

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 18:52:50 PDT 2020

Thanks, Ulvi and Henry. I am rather fond of mosque-going and I don't really
care whether people call it a mosque, a church, or a museum.

Haga Sophia, though, is a holy place for cultural historical theory,
because it was the first pendentive dome, and pendentives are what Stephen
J. Gould really meant when he wrote about "spandrels" in the Church of San
Marco. They are a feature of cultural evolution which appears, often
unconsciously, for one function but is consciously "exapted" for a very
different one. The pendentives that link the dome to the arches just
appeared in order to get a round dome to sit on a square hole, but they
became one of the most beautiful features of Byzantine architecture.

The best example of exaptation: human speech, the exaptation of digestive
and respiratory organs for interpersonal communication. And one of the most
beautiful examples of human speech is the Qur'an--something quite
impossible in English but almost inevitable in Arabic, a kind of prose that
rhymes. Like Hagia Sophia itself, it has an aesthetic power quite beyond
the power of right wing populism to detract from or even exapt.

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New Article: Ruqaiya Hasan, in memoriam: A manual and a manifesto.
Outlines, Spring 2020
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://tidsskrift.dk/outlines/article/view/116238__;!!Mih3wA!T679OAfq0UpcQZbCjd8jDXFh5VAIMVGEIMauM5PYj0WxHYh7jCK02JnvycqNSOcICJJPsA$
New Translation with Nikolai Veresov: *L.S. Vygotsky's Pedological
Works* *Volume
One: Foundations of Pedology*"
 https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9789811505270__;!!Mih3wA!T679OAfq0UpcQZbCjd8jDXFh5VAIMVGEIMauM5PYj0WxHYh7jCK02JnvycqNSOfBlkPOjg$