[Xmca-l] Re: A practical request (re: memory development)

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 15:55:41 PDT 2020

Anthony:

The longest poem in any language--I think--is the medieval Tibetan epic of
King Gesar: there are about a million verses, more or less. I went once
went to an abridged recitation (without notes of any kind) that lasted four
days. Here is a very short extract done for Chinese television:

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGIwvBmwZcM__;!!Mih3wA!Xr28o07FEUbLWjkBc_dWWx3-S29tJZdKoRSZHTFjPlhHvk4A0VYpw_mjF0HiBZ7MgNk-fg$

In one of Vygotsky's very last lectures on school age, he asks the question
of why children remember "thoughts" better than "images" and better than
"structural material". As Andy says, for a three year old with a hammer,
every problem looks like a nail (which is why his account of syncretism
looks like a train ride instead of like the development of Christianity in
Europe, which is what Piaget's own account references). So, as a
linguist, I have always thought of this as meaning that we remember word
meanings better than word sounds and better than grammatical patterns. But
of course this is not just true of children, and of course it's not at all
true of the recitations of King Gesar: the epic is often recited in an
ancient form of Tibetan that is no longer a living language, and so the
images and structures must be rattled off by heart.

So yesterday we were translating a chapter in the Pedology of the
Adolescent on the formation of higher forms of memory. Some of this
material is similar to Chapter Ten of HDHMF (The History of the Development
of the Higher Mental Functions) but not all: the basic idea is that higher
forms of memory are higher in that they are volitional--voluntary--under
intellectual control. That is why its easy for a child to remember a story
with twenty new incidents but very difficult to remember even a short
conversation that has twenty new words or twenty new grammatical
structures.

Bruner's account of "narrative" is that it is autobiography--it builds the
child's all-important sense of SELF. Han Hee-jeung and I tried to
demonstrate that this wasn't true in Korean (see link below): Korean has
very different rules for the kinds of Subjects, Expectation-of-nominals,
Linearization patterns and Focalizations that Bruner said were key to
children's autobiographies and to their concept of self. But what Korean
narratives really DO accomplish is volitional memory.  They turn every
Korean child into a King Gesar performer.

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New Article with Han Hee-jeung in Language and Education,Volume 33,
2019 - Issue
6 <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rlae20/33/6__;!!Mih3wA!Xr28o07FEUbLWjkBc_dWWx3-S29tJZdKoRSZHTFjPlhHvk4A0VYpw_mjF0HiBZ5tH6nRzA$ >

'A story without SELF: Vygotsky’s pedology, Bruner’s constructivism and
Halliday’s construalism in understanding narratives by Korean children'

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09500782.2019.1582663?journalCode=rlae20__;!!Mih3wA!Xr28o07FEUbLWjkBc_dWWx3-S29tJZdKoRSZHTFjPlhHvk4A0VYpw_mjF0HiBZ5Iy4cmcw$
New Translation with Nikolai Veresov: *L.S. Vygotsky's Pedological
Works* *Volume
One: Foundations of Pedology*"
 https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9789811505270__;!!Mih3wA!Xr28o07FEUbLWjkBc_dWWx3-S29tJZdKoRSZHTFjPlhHvk4A0VYpw_mjF0HiBZ5EoUnxSw$