[Xmca-l] Indigenous rights

Martin Packer mpacker@cantab.net
Thu Jul 9 09:41:02 PDT 2020

I am delighted to see that the US supreme court has ruled that the state of Oklahoma must recognize the treaty signed long ago with indigenous peoples. If Congress wants to reject that treaty it will have to do so explicitly, and that is likely to be a struggle!

As one NY Times reader notes, "the question of what the impact is on the state's regulatory authority over the land in question is coming!”

If slavery was the original sin of the US this was only by a small margin, since conflict with indigenous peoples had begun by 1622. The US government went on to authorize over 1,500 wars, attacks and raids on Indians.

(Perhaps as someone born in the UK I should add that I am well aware of the British role in this.)

Martin

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/09/us/supreme-court-oklahoma-mcgirt-creek-nation.html__;!!Mih3wA!VMKWbsJhRB0U4ZXzbOuZ9venWhBpAYlMXR5KCcDmA6aFJpxVx1uoL2Q2uCdSo1IqY7z2mw$

Supreme Court Rules Nearly Half of Oklahoma Is Indian Reservation

The 5-4 decision could reshape criminal justice in eastern Oklahoma by preventing state authorities from prosecuting Native Americans