[Xmca-l] Re: Your views on a question.

Simangele Mayisela simangele.mayisela@wits.ac.za
Wed Jul 1 07:29:02 PDT 2020

I hear you clearly Annalisa

And I absolutely agree with you, in essence if "victimhood" is watered down there is no "perpetrator" is watered down, and in the end if there is no victim and no perpetrator, then what is justice for?  But isn't it that collectives end up using the language to exude their state of mind, in this case my sense is there is a strong desire for peace and stability, more so those who are victims, they need time to heal and  "move on" within a social contract that recognises that victims have a strong desire to heal and move on. In any case and realistically, there is little time for adequate healing and reflection for the victims of gross violations as they come out of the trauma with the need to focus on "nation building"  and to prepare better futures for the coming generations. Not that this is the best  process, as we all understand the unconscious  collective minds  of  "victims"  as well as of  "perpetrators" may still play out the collective trauma more so if there is "forced forgetting" repression so to say, with no acknowledgement of victims and their victimhood by means of shaming or gaslighting the victims. I wonder what people who  have studies Victimology would have to say about this.

But then in my mind what stalls the healing of the victims need to survive and move is (not based on a particular theory):

  1.  If there the perpetrator (A) is not will to acknowledge their perpetration, (be it political or institutional or social) healing becomes a one sided  for the victims (B) process with the element of social cohesion as a healing factor missing.
  2.  When victims (B) make attempts to restore normality and stability as a collective in the absence of social cohesion, fear of the need for self defence on the part of the perpetrators (A)  arise from their  unconscious acknowledgement of their perpetration, and for them the focus would be to pass down the suspicion, insecurity and defence onto their future generations - influencing their activities
  3.  An example of the perpetrator (A) perceiving the victim (B) in the survivor mode as a threat of some sort, this Amy Cooper video https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFjxye6T4fk__;!!Mih3wA!QT22K7LK0brmsWOy-93Y7Cev8Kte7gWkLsKTynTHte_vnStY23TD6lQXaoNVFj5Cs2YVTQ$  shows how with a clear sense of privilege the perpetrator (A) can perceive the victim (B) as a perpetrator,  where the perpetrator (A) turns around and shouts "victimisation"  by the survivor/victim.

Thank you Annalisa for your engaging, wishing all health and safety as you navigate survival over covid-19.

I will engage from background going forward.

Regards
S'ma

From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> On Behalf Of Annalisa Aguilar
Sent: Wednesday, 01 July 2020 08:40
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Your views on a question.

Dear S'ma, David, Henry, Mike, and venerable others,

I am not in a place to look at the facebook link, though I shall try to review it in the coming days.

I think one of the "projects" of my reply to yours, S'ma, is why is it "wrong" to have a "victim mentality"? If one has indeed been a victim?

I feel that there is a denigration of the word "victim" that requires rehabilitation by purging the word of this denigration. A victim implies a perpetrator taking advantage by exercise of blatant power or by covert stealth and manipulation. That is accurately descriptive.

As I have started to read about the effects of trauma upon a person, I feel that "victim mentality" is a viable phrase to explain a state of mind in the victim that is a natural response to harm, in the same way that if I were to cut my finger, it will bleed. To remove from language a naming of this effect is like refusing to describe bleeding as "bleeding" which then seems to have a project ever more of denying that bleeding even happens.

But when I cut my finger, bleeding does not go on forever. Though I suppose one can die from bleeding out with a deep enough wound, at some point if the injury is not fatal,the bleeding staunches and the healing begins.

One of the aspects that I feel is a very real experience is the person not realizing that something has even happened, there is a mystical experience as if being in a dream. A questioning of reality.

Perhaps I might frame what I mean if we contemplate where we were when we first learned the first tower of the World Trade Center had suffered impact by a plane. Then, where we were when the second one hit the other tower. When I say "were we were" I refer to a state of mind, than a geographical location. Them where were we when the towers collapsed? When we crossed each of the stations of suffering that marked what we know as 9/11?

For many of us, which might possibly include conspiracy theorists, we will never know what exactly happened or why. I think that that is what makes "victim" an appropriate and just word, because the state of mind would not exist but for the perpetrator of violence upon the agency of the victim. We were all victims in some way by the events of 9/11, and I feel that's because we are all connected to one another. We each suffered in different degrees based upon our orientation to the events.

That space or gap or state of mind of not knowing, of ignorance and disassociation from reality, which a victim experiences cognitively, is monstrously painful because the mind works hard to try to "make sense" of what happened. It wants to fill in the gap. In order to transcend the crime committed, the victim must fill that space on one's own in one's own time; that self-talk that frames one's emotional experiences. Just as one must rehabilitate from a surgery or illness, the injured party must be provided accommodation to allow for genuine healing to manifest.

What is so outrageous is when the perpetrators try to control that narrative of healing to which the victim must arrive independently and without influence of the perpetrator, to fill that gap. That is what gaslighting is when the narrative is controlled by the perpetrator, or those who would deny the crime ever happened. That's how further injury is committed against the victim.

Such talk might be, "Well, what were you doing walking out there by yourself in the middle of the night. You were asking to be raped if you were wearing that. You should have known better." Etc.

What I am considering (and I am grateful for the collaborative spirit that you bring in this exploration to allow my consideration), is how few people seem capable of witnessing the suffering of others. This seems especially true for those who are in positions of power and who also abuse that position.

If a person is truly powerful, inherently powerful, then would it matter at all if they harmed another person less powerful, if such were the nature of power? Why shouldn't they be able to witness the destruction of the agency without grimacing?

Yet, when we do see examples of that kind of display of power, we find such a person sadistic, heartless, brutish, etc.

I am recalling the Susan Sontag book of essays On Regarding the Pain of Others, and I wish I could retrieve the book to read it again in the context of this discussion...

Oh see here! I have found it online here:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://monoskop.org/images/a/a6/Sontag_Susan_2003_Regarding_the_Pain_of_Others.pdf__;!!Mih3wA!QT22K7LK0brmsWOy-93Y7Cev8Kte7gWkLsKTynTHte_vnStY23TD6lQXaoNVFj6rffp_bg$ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/monoskop.org/images/a/a6/Sontag_Susan_2003_Regarding_the_Pain_of_Others.pdf__;!!Mih3wA!UNsCwa_P3NLoHGda5RUV9gj2AFd-9SVJZEXsQ-9oDmp5z42PwIFCAhISTWWMSEn1f3mo8Q$>

I have set up myself some homework for further contemplation and reflection to be sure.

Anyway, to resume the bead of my thought that I had started, I believe that the reason that a person with power who is incapable of rendering, in one's mind, the suffering and pain of another has to do with capacity. That's what makes them a "person with power," rather than a "powerful person."

This lack of capacity is trauma in a negative image of itself. I pose it that way because the trauma is not and cannot be the same as the trauma of the victim. I pose it that way because no one escapes violence (or crime) unscathed (which I think was the point the Marquis de Sade was attempting to make in turning the language of power into a grammar and syntax of bodies and emotions). The perpetrator suffers too, but differently.

Not that I am trying to generate a pool of sympathy for perpetrators. But I say it only to provide an acknowledgement that their lack of capacity produces numbness and denial, and a lifelong project of lying to oneself to legitimize their "right" or even "obligation" to harm another. It is trauma, but in a negative form (negative as in photography, in which the negative image produces the positive image through a reflection or obstruction of light).

Perhaps it is worse for the perpetrator than the victim, because of this "perspective" that David mentions in his post.

Still, I do not believe that a victim is only about me "being a victim." I can witness party A perpetrating an injustice upon party B and say to myself, "party B is a victim of party A." And orient myself empathically to each party, accordingly.

I can be traumatized, for example, by the violent pornography of the footage released by Wikileaks of the Reuters journalists being gunned down by American soldiers in Iraq. (I actually did feel traumatized from that footage). I have no issue in myself calling the Reuters journalists and other Iraqis gunned down "victims". My outrage was justified against callous perpetrators, which includes outrage toward the leadership of my country.

I just now wonder if this might be BECAUSE we were viewing the footage from the point of view of the soldiers, not the individuals in the street unwittingly walking into the crosshairs of assasination.

I can't say exactly.

So I trust perspective is important in the conception of understanding victims and their pain, but I do not agree that I can only use it when referring to whether I am a victim (or not). That seems part of the trap of denial of the dynamic of witnessing harm of a victim, whether me or someone else.

That is why I feel that the word meaning for "victim" requires rehabilitation and its baggage needs to be thrown off the train, posthaste!

It has to do, as I continue to reflect, with being articulate in a language of emotion and feeling. Those who hold power and possess empathy and compassion can attain a stature of being beloved, while those who hold power sans a language of emotion and feeling seem to be reviled or feared. Does that seem to hold water?

Can the same be said of a victim? One who possess a language of empathy and compassion will go farther in healing and overcoming the act, than one who doesn't possess that ability.

Perhaps this is why Spinoza is one to whom we circle back, while we grind the lens to see ourselves just a little bit better. He was attempting to understand emotion as a consequence of activities outside the person, making them passive, or what we might call in this conversation, a victim of circumstances beyond one's control or agency.

This is why I feel "survivor" is somehow lacking, though perhaps it is an adequate word for afterwards, when one must resolve to live on despite the injustice. It is what is left over. I just don't like the word because one can be a survivor without experiencing justice or being made whole.  "Survivor" seems to wash away the act that had been committed against the person, and thereby also the responsibility of perpetrator. Or am I thinking about this in the wrong way?

How can language heal this harm perpetrated upon victims just being victims and perpetrators just being perpetrators? If only so justice can just be justice?

Kind regards,

Annalisa