[Xmca-l] Re: frame theory

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Thu Jan 30 18:08:30 PST 2020

Thanks to all.

I will try to contact Anika and Kris for a PDF of their work
on this.

Greg and Lloyd, I am looking specifically for someone who
has taken the idea of "framing" into a CHAT frame, I am not
particularly interested in the presumably vast range of
possible genealogies and variants of the idea of framing. I
am particularly interested in "framing" as a rhetorical and
movement-mobilising device, that is to say, as an action
which is part of a project, like when our former Prime
Minister John Howard said "We will decide who comes into
this country" reframing the arrival of refugees on on
Australian shores as a kind of invasion, and the
Opposition's failed attempt to reframe the stopping of boats
as a diplomatic insult to Indonesia. etc. and how social
movements frame all social problems around the concept which
provides them with their identity. I can see how teachers
would use framing to introduce children to concepts which
they might otherwise find irrelevant to their lives. I'd
like to know who has expressed this idea in Activity
Theoretical terms, in particular.

Thanks all again for your assistance.

Andy

*Andy Blunden*