[Xmca-l] Re: Just Published: L.S. Vygotsky's Pedological Works Vol. 1

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 13:57:58 PST 2020

DEAR Wagner!

No offense taken, of course! You and I are old CHAT chums, and a bit of
rumpus is part of the skinship. (The name is "David", by the
way..."Kellogg" is a well known breakfast cereal manufacturer whose
biological relationship to me is far too distant to do me any good....)

Actually, I think I probably share all of your concerns, including the
price of commuting to ISCAR, climate change, and your worries over the
death of Brazilian academia. I wouldn't exactly describe Korean academia as
"dead", but our Vygotsky group is more or less dead to them, and we mostly
distribute our work through the teachers' union. In fact, one reason why I
wanted to publish Vygotsky in English is that the professoriat here will
insist on reading him in English, even though our Korean translations are
now done from Russian.

Copyright is one barrier, and it's real. In response to Anne-Nelly's query
(because I know Andy is under some stress these days), you might want to
look at this:

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140424/17582827024/radical-publisher-claims-copyright-free-collection-marx-engels-works-orders-them-taken-down.shtml

But there are other barriers that are equally serious or even more so:
translations are sometimes more wall than bridge. So for example on p. 50
of Vol 5 in the English Collected Works, we learn  that Vygotsky's data
comes from Pashkovskaya, and that Pashkovsakya's data comes, in part, from
the SCY, the schools for "Christian" youth, supposedly "ShKM" in Russian.
But the Russian word for Christian doesn't begin with "K" or "C"--it begins
with "X". Even the Russian Collected Works gets this right: PEASANT schools
are meant. The English, on p. 57, says this: "From our point of view,
logical thinking is not composed of concepts so much as of separate
elements". The Russian says exactly the opposite.

Yes, you are right--the review system has also become a wall and not a
bridge. But I think some of this is our own doing, you know. The other day
I got a review that said, basically, I don't understand this paper at all,
but I think it should be published and the readership should be given a
chance to sort out what this guy is really trying to say. Even the first
part of that review--the admission that the reviewer is over his or her
head--is rare enough, let alone the admirable humility of the second part.
More readership--less leadership!

I think the longest, widest, worst wall of all--but the one most
immediately in our power to get over--is still just drive-by citation:
citing Vygotsky without actually reading him. I remember having my work
rejected by "Vygotskyans" at the Canadian Modern Language Review who
informed me that Vygotsky had clearly written that there could never be any
such thing as a "group" or "collective" ZPD. Reviewers still complain when
I point out that a ZPD is always measured in years, but these years are not
calendar years, that Vygotsky was intimately associated with sex education
(gay marriage was more or less legal in the USSR until 1931), that LSV
could and did write about the Russian famine, and that he also wrote
extensively on the effect of class consciousness on the adolescent. All of
this can be found in the pedological works, and most of it in the
selections already published in the Collected Works, even if it is well
disguised by the editors and translators.

Of course,  MCA is doing more than its share ito overcome all these
barriers! And yes, a beautiful special issue on the pedology is on the way
in the new year. Francophone readers who cannot wait, though, should read
the remarkable translation and editorial material of  Irina
Leopoldoff-Martin and Bernard Scheuwly which will be its basis:

https://www.amazon.com/science-d%C3%A9veloppement-lenfant-p%C3%A9dologiques-Exploration/dp/303433348X

And Springer has allowed us to make available selected passages
in Engish free online in connection with the upcoming special issue!

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New article with Fang Li:
"How do novels hang together? Characterization as registerial
meta-stability"
Text & Talk

https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/text.ahead-of-print/text-2019-2051/text-2019-2051.xml