[Xmca-l] Re: Critic of revisionism

Glassman, Michael glassman.13@osu.edu
Thu Feb 27 11:03:09 PST 2020

Just to throw this out there, there are some Stanislavski scholars who do not think perizhivanei was not just an ordinary Russian word. At least a couple think it was one of the most powerful words of the late 19th – early 20th century. According to their argument is was critical to Tolstoy and many of the other Russian Romantics (when these scholars talk about perezhivanyie they refer back to some of the authors Vygotsky uses in Thinking and Speech). For them the concept is related to an emotionally propelled search for truth. Pierre in War and Peace was perezhivanei. I went back I read the episode between Kitty and Levin in chapter 7, indeed much of chapter 7 thinking about this. Perezhivanei was in Stanislavski’s original sub-title to an Actor Prepares, which was removed when it was published in English. I don’t know why, nobody seems to. According to a couple of people at least Stanislavski changed the concept to an emotionally driven, collaborative (not a good enough word) search for truth, but that truth itself was contextual.  I kind of think that at least Vygotsky was partially using Stanislavski’s ideas rather than more distant or philosophical bases. On the Problem of Psychology of an actor’s creative work, which right now I think is the place where Vygotsky best defines the concept, can in some ways be seen as complimentary to Stanislavski’s “An Actor Prepares” where he talks about perezhivanie (this is supposed to be something of an autobiographical work for Stanislavski which makes this even more interesting). It also makes sense that this would be influencing Vygotsky historically because “An Actor Prepares” comes just a short time before pereshivanyie became a more important concept in Vygotsky’s writings (it is really interesting to see the evolution of the concept from Psychology of Art to I read some of the articles (not all) from the  Psychology of Art to Psychology of the Actor’s creative work.  The article by Veresov and Fleer discuss drama quite a bit, but don’t draw it back to the theatrical roots. Anybody take this route? Would there by any reason to suggest this was not what Vygotsky was up to (not to say it was, just that it was a possibility?)

This is particularly interesting to me because it is part of a model I and some colleagues are building focusing on development through peer dialogue.

As for whether Vygotsky was a plagiarist or whatever. I wonder if he would just say, “who cares?” Our obsession with the ownership of ideas is kind of an artefact of second half of twentieth century academia I think.

Anyway, any insights would be appreciated.

Michael

From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> On Behalf Of David Kellogg
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 4:30 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>; zavr71@yandex.ru; Veer, R. van der <veer@fsw.leidenuniv.nl>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Critic of revisionism

De bona gana, Alberto. Not least because the published version (the eprints are still available below my signature) suffered some last-minute compression, for the which I received a somewhat irate letter from Rene himself. Interestingly, though, neither Rene nor Professor Zavershneva really addressed the argument about Vygotsky's originality. The argument about originality--not the argument about sourcing or plagiarism--was the crux of their article and also of mine.

I think it's possible for the discussion to degenerate into "Vygotsky was a plagiarist" vs. "No he wasn't!". That is, actually, what a lot of the discussion over Bakhtin's work amounts to, and such a discussion would be more than a little anachronistic, because the sourcing conventions we now respect today did not exist then.  But I also think the discussion of "Vygotsky was not an original thinker" vs. "Yes he was" is well worth having.

First of all, it is at the very heart of whether what he founded was a genuine collective enterprise (in which we all can have a part) or simply, as Anton likes to say, "a heroic cult" (in which case the pyramid we are building is not a mountain but a tomb). Secondly, it raises all kinds of genuinely fruitful issues, like the one we were having just yesterday in John Cripps Clark's CHAR reading group in Melbourne on how Vygotsky developed the ordinary word Russian "perezhivanie" (which, as Lloyd Martin cracked, is really everyday Russian for "I got the blues!") into a unit of analysis for the ontogenesis of consciousness.

So I'm attaching the penultimate version, which is slightly less compressed (word limits are a buzz-kill, but they do make life bearable for the reader). I wonder, actually, if Rene or Professor Zavershneva might want to vouchsafe a reply....

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New Article: 'Commentary: On the originality of Vygotsky's "Thought and Word" i
in Mind Culture and Activity
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10749039.2020.1711775<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10749039.2020.1711775__;!!KGKeukY!ioGEHJ8V9On13F0cnf_2CCACqI0GeudLlF_AuhHJvsgZ09j-LlBynVVKWHFtujfq8xg-ZOT3$>
Some free e-prints available at:
https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/SK2DR3TYBMJ42MFPYRFY/full?target=10.1080/10749039.2020.1711775<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.tandfonline.com/eprint/SK2DR3TYBMJ42MFPYRFY/full?target=10.1080*10749039.2020.1711775__;Lw!!KGKeukY!ioGEHJ8V9On13F0cnf_2CCACqI0GeudLlF_AuhHJvsgZ09j-LlBynVVKWHFtujfq8-K9Q-Q_$>

New Translation with Nikolai Veresov: "L.S. Vygotsky's Pedological Works Volume One: Foundations of Pedology"

 https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9789811505270<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.springer.com/gp/book/9789811505270__;!!KGKeukY!ioGEHJ8V9On13F0cnf_2CCACqI0GeudLlF_AuhHJvsgZ09j-LlBynVVKWHFtujfq8zS7ns3g$>