[Xmca-l] Re: Critic of revisionism

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 13:29:35 PST 2020

De bona gana, Alberto. Not least because the published version (the eprints
are still available below my signature) suffered some last-minute
compression, for the which I received a somewhat irate letter from Rene
himself. Interestingly, though, neither Rene nor Professor Zavershneva
really addressed the argument about Vygotsky's originality. The argument
about originality--not the argument about sourcing or plagiarism--was
the crux of their article and also of mine.

I think it's possible for the discussion to degenerate into "Vygotsky was a
plagiarist" vs. "No he wasn't!". That is, actually, what a lot of the
discussion over Bakhtin's work amounts to, and such a discussion would be
more than a little anachronistic, because the sourcing conventions we now
respect today did not exist then.  But I also think the discussion of
"Vygotsky was not an original thinker" vs. "Yes he was" is well worth
having.

First of all, it is at the very heart of whether what he founded was a
genuine collective enterprise (in which we all can have a part) or simply,
as Anton likes to say, "a heroic cult" (in which case the pyramid we are
building is not a mountain but a tomb). Secondly, it raises all kinds of
genuinely fruitful issues, like the one we were having just yesterday in
John Cripps Clark's CHAR reading group in Melbourne on how Vygotsky
developed the ordinary word Russian "perezhivanie" (which, as Lloyd Martin
cracked, is really everyday Russian for "I got the blues!") into a unit of
analysis for the ontogenesis of consciousness.

So I'm attaching the penultimate version, which is slightly less compressed
(word limits are a buzz-kill, but they do make life bearable for the
reader). I wonder, actually, if Rene or Professor Zavershneva might want to
vouchsafe a reply....

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New Article: 'Commentary: On the originality of Vygotsky's "Thought and
Word" i
in *Mind Culture and Activity*
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10749039.2020.1711775
Some free e-prints available at:
https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/SK2DR3TYBMJ42MFPYRFY/full?target=10.1080/10749039.2020.1711775

New Translation with Nikolai Veresov: "L.S. Vygotsky's Pedological Works
Volume One: Foundations of Pedology"

 https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9789811505270