[Xmca-l] Re: some videos for a general audience

Helen Beetham helen.beetham@gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 01:19:25 PST 2020

The two minute explainer videos are a wonderful idea.
As a researcher I would be really interested to hear (and share) some two-minute, practical accounts of using CHAT in research settings. After years of working in the field and using (and recommending) AT as an analytical frame to other researchers, I’m finding that in order to submit something for a PhD I have to write an extraordinary long and detailed justification for its use, via critical theory, philosophy of language, and even evolutionary biology. The reason I think it’s so powerful a tool - and the reason I think it’s so controversial - is that it falls between sociological methods/explanations that tend to be hyper local and resist any systematic account of the relationships between agency, material artefacts, and cultural-historical systems - and more cybernetic or systematic accounts that dissolve human agency and meaning-making in the ‘factors’ and forces acting on a situation. AT comes through the middle - but exactly how it does that seems to me very particular to the context of study. I’d be interested in any thoughts or practical experiences - and apologise for any mistakes or naivity of my own understanding.

The XMCA archives are a mine of useful discussion, but there are few really seminal articles - to someone not centrally involved it’s sometimes hard to make the link between the philosophy and the method.

In solidarity
Helen

Helen Beetham, Researcher and Consultant
@helenbeetham  helenb33
helen.beetham@gmail.com
h.a.beetham@wlv.ac.uk
digitalthinking.org.uk <http://digitalthinking.org/>