[Xmca-l] "Self-awareness, Perspective, and Imagination -- with Huw Lloyd"

Anthony Barra anthonymbarra@gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 17:40:59 PDT 2020

 Huw Lloyd is an interesting guy and a gracious conversation partner.

He recently helped me close some (of the many) gaps in my knowledge and
understanding here: https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://tiny.cc/4kspsz__;!!Mih3wA!X7YGqw7zcXg6Q2t0d7Fxgiw61TIB9gDb1rcyBIB0fKIeY4I0UnNHoaVgMd-KMLuKDyXZyA$

Huw's commentary will likely be enjoyable even for fellow experts, who
could compare his answers to what their own might be, as well as my
questions to what they might've asked.

I do feel a bit weird pushing my stuff here, but at the same time, enough
people have told me in public and private that they enjoy the videos, so I
do like sharing them.

Thanks,

Anthony

(audio-only here: https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://tiny.cc/hlspsz__;!!Mih3wA!X7YGqw7zcXg6Q2t0d7Fxgiw61TIB9gDb1rcyBIB0fKIeY4I0UnNHoaVgMd-KMLu_tqA_Lw$ )

Video description and Timestamps:

Researcher Huw Lloyd, fluent in numerous mental models, is a good explainer
of concepts -- including many I was completely unversed in. A few threads
run through the entirety of this chat: development, self-awareness, and
construing an active orientation to any given situation.

SECTION 1: Our pathways to Vygotsky

0:36 - Reflections on Huw's recent "Vygotsky and Parenting"  (
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://tiny.cc/ymqpsz__;!!Mih3wA!X7YGqw7zcXg6Q2t0d7Fxgiw61TIB9gDb1rcyBIB0fKIeY4I0UnNHoaVgMd-KMLsZtF8ADg$ )

1:45 - Pros and cons of taking scholarly shortcuts

6:07 - Huw's arrival to Vygotsky, in part through dissatisfaction
 elsewhere

SECTION 2: Huw's ideas about Active Orientation

16:38 - What is Active Orientation?

23:30 - Is Active Orientation a practice? (An exercise in self  awareness)

31:58 - Active Orientation can be documented (microgenesis research of
 Huw's)

SECTION 3: What is Developmental Education?

40:37 - A primer on Davydov and Developmental Education

46:07 - Empirical thinking vs. Theoretical thinking

50:23 - Grokking the material and the History of ideas

52:59 - Problems are Good

55:40 - An illustrative lesson of Davydov's

1:03:43 - Some key characteristics of developmental education

1:07:41 - Crises, construals, and neoformations

1:10:20 - The Desert Oak: a developmental TRIZ problem

SECTION 4: Imagination and Confidence-building

1:16:07 - Imagination, flow, and problem-solving

1:24:10 - Systems and Design Ideas (TRIZ approach)

1:30:22 - Earned, authoritative confidence: Your tempered ideas are  become
Real

1:35:20 - The importance of problem-construal or framing

1:48:04 - Problem-creating, -solving, and -construing

1:53:51 - This is rich, highly concentrated material (Foundational,
generative, "unfoldable" concepts)

1:55:27 - Notational vs. developmental education (and epistemology)

1:57:10 - Final two questions (adult-development & advice for
 problem-designers)

2:06:20 - Complex vs. complicated (and self-regulation and distance
 learning)

2:09:46 - An idea for lunch (as promised: https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://tiny.cc/bvqpsz__;!!Mih3wA!X7YGqw7zcXg6Q2t0d7Fxgiw61TIB9gDb1rcyBIB0fKIeY4I0UnNHoaVgMd-KMLtChKpY9A$ )