[Xmca-l] Re: "this remarkable list" (Gabosch, 2002)

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Thu Aug 20 15:32:41 PDT 2020

It would be great to gather answers to that question from everyone on XMCA,
Anthony. Or coordinate a zoom session where
everyone provides an example and there is adequate provision for later
discussion/reflection.

Can you say just a tad more about *"when the teaching 'works' e.g., is
appropriated and built upon"*?

When I work through the process of writing an academic essay with a student
who is first struggling with, say, the study of culture
in development. Their initial account has many interesting ideas in it, but
the underlying story (aka logig) is unclear and the conclusion
is confused.  Transition points in the presumbed argument aren't clear.
After working through the intro and the next couple of sections, the
argument starts to
become clearer. A session or two later the transitions come more easily.
The final draft is a big improvement, perhaps it even has a solidly stated
conclusion.
THe first draft of the next piece of writing is qualitatively better than
its predecessor.  In discussion of other student papers the student
introduces basic
ideas from his/her own work in a way that is productive for other
participants, including me. The student is predisposed to continue the
process. I come away
with new ideas about the content of the discussions and the process of
obuchenie.

By appropriated I mean taken up some manner and integrated into one's
cultural tool kit.  A handy thing about this term is
that appropriate also means normative for the social circumstances.  From
this perspective, one is passing and managing all the time.
(I recently met a younger scholar whose work I greatly admired who
commented in a seminar that they felt like an imposter. Others nodded
sympathetically.
I was dumbfounded. The person had been acting totally appropriately
academically, socially, a successful young scholar).

Specifying the sufficient and necessary conditions to create the kinds of
interactions where cognition is distributed in the process of also seems
like an important
part of the process. For now I would simply refer you to the next part of
the slides I was showing in that clip about a "zoped" you showed. The
notion of a zoped that
arose in my work with Peg and lchcophiles speaks to that problem.

I have broken my own injunction to avid taking up too much xmca discourse
space. And not to continue discussions started by/with all
white males.  Back to the dungeon.

mike

tell you that s/he had gone to the movies on Saturday and seen, say

--

I[image: Angelus Novus] <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angelus_Novus__;!!Mih3wA!S0dyScAUWdtQ7BLVECUaOmGM6gOdJmyI8ygSB6Era0jDbf0xSb-4T5XTMyIvulOuqGdSsA$ >The