[Xmca-l] Re: Female Scholars in the Work of Vygotsky

Glassman, Michael glassman.13@osu.edu
Fri Aug 14 04:33:18 PDT 2020

Hi David,

I know the age difference. I did not say they had a physical relationship. If it existed it was probably more like mother son as she played that role for a number of intellectuals around the theater at the time, but who knows. Would you have even blinked if it was Vygotsky who was fifty and Gurevich was in her early twenties. Still Gurevich was a well known figure. It would be like a family of a conservative French family finding out their son was visiting the salons of Alice B. Toklas and Gertrude Stein in Paris. They would have been scandalized.  I have no idea if this happened, but the Moscow Art Theatre and the people around it, as well as the symbolist movement, were at the cutting edge of a lot of things in Moscow at the time (of course I am not an expert in Russian history).

Let me ask you something David. You are twenty one years old living in one of the great cities of the world. You love the theater and you are a published  theater critic, you are at least on the margins of some of the great innovators in theater not just at the time but in history. Do you really want to go back. What would it take to get you back?

Let me ask you something else. You are scion of a family where two members have TB. You know it is contagious (I believe people knew that at the time). Would you have insisted your beloved son return to take care of them?

No, I think there is more to the story which we may never know.

I said all this is highly skeptical, but I think Lev Vygotsky was a highly complex individual.

By the way I prefaced this aspect of the Gurevich Vygotsky history as highly speculative and it was very small. You asked to know why I was looking into Gurevich and I told you. I did not ask you to comment on it.

And, I looked at many of the citations you mentioned. Maybe they are more. But none of them come close to matching his use of Gurevich or Krupskaya’s in Psychology of the Actor or Alteration of man. Take a look.  I am sure I am missing something though, which is why I asked in the first place.

Michael

From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> On Behalf Of David Kellogg
Sent: Thursday, August 13, 2020 7:49 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Female Scholars in the Work of Vygotsky

Well, she was thirty years older than he was, wasn't he? At the time he left Moscow for Gomel, Vygotsky would have been twenty-one and she would have been well into her fifties. So it seems to me more likely that with the Germans about to attack Gomel, and the younger son ill, the elder son was really wanted at home. Remember too that the Psychology of the Actor's Art was probably written nearly ten years after this....

I initially found the Zavershneva-van der Veer notebooks rather embarrassing because of speculations like this. But we know from the notebooks that Roza Smekhova was not his first love (see their notes on "The Trip to London"); that he tried to write a book "About the New Jewry" with another woman, presumably Jewish, called R. Yu: (p. 44). and that he appears to have had a passionate relationship with her. None of this should surprise us, since "A was a man, take him for all in all/We shall not look upon his like again."

Annalisa--the Spinoza connection is not explicit in Anthony's text. He invited me to freewheel on whatever it was I was smoking at the time, so I did. Here's what happened:

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1W9XAGZaBU&t=159s__;!!Mih3wA!Rx-cT1lx8kKYelR8mYtUQazs4KgAOlmas-L_z6v-MClsKFyihsK0AwVyFJeZY9153W-Ywg$ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1W9XAGZaBU&t=159s__;!!Mih3wA!SZ8iFJI9Hggu1-kXmR5SaSPIlLyPhVpRS-KoHtUXvJd_U54ZuNis4--gOeHuQwkMgwuuEQ$>

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New Article: Ruqaiya Hasan, in memoriam: A manual and a manifesto.
Outlines, Spring 2020
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://tidsskrift.dk/outlines/article/view/116238__;!!Mih3wA!Rx-cT1lx8kKYelR8mYtUQazs4KgAOlmas-L_z6v-MClsKFyihsK0AwVyFJeZY9357sQUOA$ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/tidsskrift.dk/outlines/article/view/116238__;!!Mih3wA!SZ8iFJI9Hggu1-kXmR5SaSPIlLyPhVpRS-KoHtUXvJd_U54ZuNis4--gOeHuQwnNmNEz7w$>
New Translation with Nikolai Veresov: L.S. Vygotsky's Pedological Works Volume One: Foundations of Pedology"
 https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9789811505270__;!!Mih3wA!Rx-cT1lx8kKYelR8mYtUQazs4KgAOlmas-L_z6v-MClsKFyihsK0AwVyFJeZY93k3aC45A$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.springer.com/gp/book/9789811505270__;!!Mih3wA!SZ8iFJI9Hggu1-kXmR5SaSPIlLyPhVpRS-KoHtUXvJd_U54ZuNis4--gOeHuQwmuJr8sQA$>