[Xmca-l] Re: Prehistory of Written Language????

Larry Smolucha lsmolucha@hotmail.com
Thu Aug 6 17:45:31 PDT 2020

>From Francine:

A big Thank You to Michael Cole and to David Kellogg

One of the things I will be addressing is the arbitrary designation of periods for Vygotsky's writings. Just because a paper was first published in 1935 doesn't mean that Vygotsky formulated those ideas in the last couple years of his life. Over a ten year span, it takes time to carry out research, formulate the theoretical argument, give a lecture, write a paper, and actually get a publication in press. So,  I am working with the theoretical continuity between
papers, while trying to get the dates right.

________________________________
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of mike cole <mcole@ucsd.edu>
Sent: Thursday, August 6, 2020 4:48 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Prehistory of Written Language????

Hello Francine Smolucha-

I can tell you with some certainty that the version that appeared in Mind in Society came from the 1935 collection of his
essays. The 1928/29 date for origins is backed up by these notes ( attached) from an issue of Soviet Psychology/JREEP.

I hope you are well and safe.
By all means announce the public availability of your essay.

On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 2:11 PM Larry Smolucha <lsmolucha@hotmail.com<mailto:lsmolucha@hotmail.com>> wrote:
>From Francine:

To Michael Cole,  et. al

Hoping that you might help me clarify the publication history of Vygotsky's manuscript "The Prehistory of Written Language."

Did it originate in 1928/1929 as a lecture or unpublished paper or publication?

Was it published as a chapter in The History of the Development of Higher Mental Functions in 1931?

Then was it published again in 1935 in The Mental Development of Children During Education.

It was included as the last chapter in Mind in Society in 1978.

Perhaps David Kellogg knows something about its history.

Need to know for a publication - I have been asked to contribute the chapter on Vygotsky, as a Pioneer in Psychology.  (I will be going down to my basement archives to look at xeroxes of the Russian texts.)

Hope everyone stays in good health, we have been fortunate so far.

--

I[Angelus Novus]<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angelus_Novus__;!!Mih3wA!QE1yo8Rl2aYMSSjgl3kMwtsxJGI7gRJCpwfNKUiLezOeEQQu2wev09eoBMCYNgJN8boT1Q$>The Angel's View of History

It is only in a social context that subjectivism and objectivism, spiritualism and materialism, activity and passivity cease to be antinonmes, and thus cease to exist as such antinomies. The resolution of the theoretical contradictions is possible only through practical means, only through the practical energy of humans. (Marx, 1844).

Cultural Praxis Website: https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://culturalpraxis.net__;!!Mih3wA!VGCjSDPvlqH_Aq0Fxb05Y1NtNSx1EeqOMKHIk1sYO7rYc33vn1brsLT-fFGwJ3_4wvHcww$ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://culturalpraxis.net__;!!Mih3wA!QE1yo8Rl2aYMSSjgl3kMwtsxJGI7gRJCpwfNKUiLezOeEQQu2wev09eoBMCYNgK-9LL8QA$>
Re-generating CHAT Website: re-generatingchat.com<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://re-generatingchat.com__;!!Mih3wA!QE1yo8Rl2aYMSSjgl3kMwtsxJGI7gRJCpwfNKUiLezOeEQQu2wev09eoBMCYNgJ5_BDj5g$>
Archival resources website: lchc.ucsd.edu<http://lchc.ucsd.edu>.
Narrative history of LCHC:  lchcautobio.ucsd.edu<http://lchcautobio.ucsd.edu>.