[Xmca-l] Re: Prehistory of Written Language????

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 14:56:43 PDT 2020

Dear Francine:

It's really the history of written SPEECH, isn't it? Kind of oxymoronic in
English, but still a better way of setting out the problem of a prehistory
than 'written language'.

I had never heard that Vygotsky published it in 1928-1929. My copy of
Vygotsky 1935 had a fottonote saying it was a chapter in "History of the
Cultural Development of the Normal and Non-normal Child". But it also says
this is an unpublished manuscript from 1928-1929.

There is some controversy about the last ten chapters of HDHMF which
includes the Prehistory of Written Speech as Chapter Seven. You know that
the revisionists claim this is a different book, and the editors of the CW
just pasted them together. That's why the first publication in 1960
announced that the last ten chapters--including the Prehistory--were never
written or had been lost. I suppose they would say that "History of the
Cultural Development of the Normal and Non-normal Child" is the book that
the editors of the CW cannibalized to eke out the missing ten chapters,

The problem with this claim is that there's a pretty clear reference to a
whole book in the opening chapter (1997: 3) and also in the final chapter
(where the chapter on written speech is explicitly mentioned), and they do
seem to be talking about the same book. I don't think that the concluding
reference (1997: 241-243) could be referring to a different book because it
talks about reversing the order of the chapters (theoretical background
emerging from the empirical studies rather than empirical studies framed by
theoretical backgrounds as it actually appears). It seems to me that
Vygotsky did what Marx did when he wrote Grundrisse--study first,
theoretical background second. Then he reversed them, as Marx did when he
wrote Capital.

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New Article: Ruqaiya Hasan, in memoriam: A manual and a manifesto.
Outlines, Spring 2020
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://tidsskrift.dk/outlines/article/view/116238__;!!Mih3wA!UqSLgvqjyO1T4LZtv5FkPD7MHoLNpxGUAtC5QPnr2lTBl5SeMjk8KhZk-ktWTXcqDzPiTg$
New Translation with Nikolai Veresov: *L.S. Vygotsky's Pedological
Works* *Volume
One: Foundations of Pedology*"
 https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9789811505270__;!!Mih3wA!UqSLgvqjyO1T4LZtv5FkPD7MHoLNpxGUAtC5QPnr2lTBl5SeMjk8KhZk-ktWTXdqWHilkg$