[Xmca-l] Re: Covid as World Perezhivanie?

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 15:53:16 PDT 2020

Down the street from me stands a large mega-church called Dongwon, which
was the scene of a major outbreak around February 29, when the spread of
Covid 19 finally peaked here in Korea. There is also a Starbucks which was
frequented by one of the Dongwon positives and had to be shut down for 72
hours for cleaning. Neither one is doing much business.

There are signs that tell worshippers how to get virtual services. But more
importantly, there are big posters saying "Shincheonji OUT" ("out" is
written in English) and explaining that members of the secretive sect are
not allowed dual membership. (Shincheonji, a cult based in Daegu, was
largely responsibe for the 29 February spike, because the notorous "Patient
31" was a Shincheonji member who refused to cooperate with health
authorities.)  Shincheonji made a practice of infiltrating the
mega-churches in order to recruit young people, who then became
(ideologically but also virologically) super-spreaders. The church is not
exactly shuttered, but it is largely shunned.

This is how contact tracing works in South Korea. It's not the Bluetooth
app that Australia is using (only a million people have downloaded the
Autralian app, which doesn't seem sufficient to me). Here in South Korea,
people who are positive are simply interviewed about their movements for
five to seven days before their positive test, and then these are published
on the local government website and everyone is sent a local government
message alerting them to the presence of the virus. When we take daily
walks, we first consult the local government website and avoid hotspots.

In the early days of the pandemic, there were sporadic complaints about
contact tracing--some extra-marital affairs were inadvertantly exposed that
way. But in general the resentment against the non-compliance of
Shincheonji was fierce enough to overcome the objections. I am not sure I
would call this trust with privacy: it's more distrust of secretiveness.

The government did do its part to earn trust, though. Messages about
contract tracing are now anonymized (but of course it's pretty easy to see
through this even in a big city like Seoul, because contacts are referred
to by their street addresses, and pretty much everybody on a street knows
who lives where). The ruling party (called the
"Living-With-Each-Other-Democrats") won the parliamentary elections with
the largest majority since a democratic constitution was inaugurated in
1987. It didn't help that the main neo-militarist opposition (the "United
Future Party") had some pretty obvious ideological and financial
connections to Shincheonji (the name of the neo-militarist party sounded
suspiciously like "Shincheonji" until they changed it).

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New Article: Ruqaiya Hasan, in memoriam: A manual and a manifesto.
Outlines, Spring 2020
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://tidsskrift.dk/outlines/article/view/116238/167607__;!!Mih3wA!ThfdTCeU2ryRbPka7RHFgNWVUGk7HbJjI0jipXGJzbBywWZQ3xCu_7nGxlMeAxU7p_21TQ$

New Translation with Nikolai Veresov: *L.S. Vygotsky's Pedological
Works* *Volume
One: Foundations of Pedology*"
 https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9789811505270__;!!Mih3wA!ThfdTCeU2ryRbPka7RHFgNWVUGk7HbJjI0jipXGJzbBywWZQ3xCu_7nGxlMeAxVfh5lNNQ$