[Xmca-l] Re: Covid as World Perezhivanie?

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Fri Apr 24 11:22:17 PDT 2020

Greg-

If there is a one right way to interpret the term, perezhivanie, I have no
idea what it is.  The term is polysemic in Russian.  I would suggest that
people
check out the special issue of MCA devoted to this topic.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.tandfonline.com/toc/hmca20/23/4?nav=tocList__;!!Mih3wA!WKwgnbs6JQqRsIY-0s7DdDKMDdHpKGpBUzVDyoIBP9kN0KTK1bO_Vymkx4GzNKd3LD-A-w$

These viewpoints are not exhaustive.

The other night I was watching "Servant of the People"  created by
Volodymir Zelensky on netflix. Absolutely amazing, funny, and very very
political. The most outstanding case of life imitating art I have yet
encountered.  In the program, which is in Russian with subtitles in
English,  an irate father, irritated by his
son's failure to grasp the nature of corruption in Ukraine tells him  "dont
perezhvai"  in a manner that roughly translates as "don't get upset about
it."  The example lacks the "pere"  suffix (the over again aspect) of
re-experiencing an intense emotion/cognition. But this everyday meaning is
used commonly.

To me, the idea of "world perezhivanie" points to the fact that we are all
"living through a period of suffering" with lots of cognitions, but it for
those still standing
20 years from now to reflect back on.  The crisis is just beginning.

my 2 kopeks
mike

--

the creation of utopias – and their exhaustive criticism – is the proper
and distinctive method of sociology.  H.G.Wells

For archival resources relevant to the research of myself and other members
of LCHC, visit
lchc.ucsd.edu.  For archival materials and a narrative history of the
research of LCHC, visit lchcautobio.ucsd.edu.