[Xmca-l] Re: Love in the time of corona

Glassman, Michael glassman.13@osu.edu
Tue Apr 14 12:45:08 PDT 2020

Hi Greg,

I think if you are looking to create online classes that can build community it is really important to differentiate between synchronous education and asynchronous education. We are used to and I think comfortable with synchronous communication which comes with a lot of oversight built in (e.g. you can see what people are doing with their hands and eyes in your place based classrooms, you can proctor exams). This has been really difficult at my university because it is difficult for people to think about education in different ways (really not that different, I believe asynchronous online communication may actually have a better opportunity of realizing some of Dewey’s ideas than face to face communication). So many professors are using zoom or some other meeting platform, but just because you can see students’ faces it does not mean you are recreating synchronous face-to-face education (an interesting factoid, meeting platforms originated precisely so people could do other things while in a meeting, like looking up an idea, so trying to have some control over what students do when on meeting platforms is probably a mugs game). I hear stories of how students are playing video games while they are online in education. Also I think there is pretty good research to suggest that it is difficult to maintain interest in a talking head for more than 7-minutes (I was initially interested in Quibi, but of course this is the U.S. so we have to corporative everything until it turns into much.

What asynchronous classes look to is discipline the way Dewey defined it. Students keep coming back because they are interested. This leads to the question of how to maintain interest in an asynchronous platform, because the discipline we are used to is external – what you should do not what you want to do – which I think Dewey would not call discipline at all but coercion. Students have a great deal more autonomy online than they do in face-to-face, if only because there is so much less surveillance. I think an important idea is rather than battling against this autonomy which can scare a lot of instructors (including me!!) to lean into it, really try and use it as an asset. Offer a lot of choice in the activities, thinking that when learners have a sense of agency they become more committed to their task. This is of course difficult in our subject oriented educational orientation, that students must know things and they will not know it unless we teach it to them in the right way. We must be rigorous in our education (lately I have been thinking there is a fine line between rigor and indoctrination wondering if the words can be used interchangeably).

So in order to develop “discipline” you must students set their own trajectory out of their interests. This is actually much easier to do online I think and there are a number of instances outside of formal education. Yet of course we cannot in current circumstances give students freedom to find their own subjects (as Dewey suggested) but we can offer our subjects as questions rather than answers, offering provocative information that is somehow relevant to their lives (these days I try and relate the subject I am teaching back to what is going on with the coronavirus). I think students, if they have not become too alienated from the entire educational process, are ready to respond, to have a voice, especially the current generation of students who grew up on this stuff (I think I disagree with Rob’s prior post, students are far more ready for this type of learning that we instructors). Given the opportunity they will find their own level of community, become interested in each other’s ideas. I think it takes time to get there, and there will be failures, but I think it is really beneficial is learners see their instructors looking for answers as much as they are.

There are no special tricks to make online education better. It is and will be a lot of hard work. We are paying a price for the fact that a lot of online education has tried to emulate our face to face, linear, synchronous place based education. It also means that the instructor needs to give up some control. We don’t create community, the best we can do is become part of the community as it evolves.

Michael

From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> On Behalf Of Greg Thompson
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2020 1:18 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Love in the time of corona

Lois and others,

Inspiring to see all that you and ESI are doing there in the midst of this whirlwind - and in the eye of the storm no less!

This comment of yours seemed to resonate with Liz' and Annalie's comments about mental health:
"people are realizing how they feel is not inside them".

That seems to me to be a revolutionary thought.

Also, I'd ask this to you but don't want to distract you from your important work, so perhaps others can talk about how activities can be transformed in these times to adapt to this new era (I'd like to call it a "moment" but it feels bigger than that).

What got me thinking of this were the Zoom sessions that Lois mentioned on Creating Connection and Building Community. The fact is that there will be new possibilities to do these things (e.g., the possibility of truly GLOBAL communities and connections - perhaps to Andy's world-perezhivanie), but the activities that enable these things will also need to be transformed and different.

[I'm a bit of an idiot about these things so I'm just realizing that online classes can't just be in-person activities that are taken online. They need online activities that can build connection and community among students. Still working on that.]

So I'm wondering if anyone has had any success or even just suggestions regarding how to create online activities that can realize the possibilities and potential for connection and community in online spaces?

[I'm thinking really practically/locally here in terms of what can be done in my classes to build connection and community in online spaces, but the answer will, of course, be relevant to forms of cross-national solidarity, granting that there may be other challenges as well - e.g., language].

-greg