[Xmca-l] Re: General check-in?

John Cripps Clark john.crippsclark@deakin.edu.au
Tue Apr 7 16:42:07 PDT 2020

Alfredo

Your email reminds me of another issue. When I was doing my doctorate, I came across the writing of the remarkable South African mathematics educator, Renuka Vithal. She pointed out the assumption of continuity is an assumption of wealth (or the North as she phrases it – it always seems jarring in Australia). Disruption is in fact the norm and this is not a recent phenomenon. The need for “care, money, coping support” was always there but hidden. In disruption we can see through the cracks what is below the surface. This is also what good theory does so we should be doubly powerful.

John

Vithal, R. (1998). Disruptions and data: The politics of doing mathematics research in South Africa. Paper presented at the Sixth annual meeting of the Southern African Association for Research in Mathematics and Science Education, University of South Africa.

Valero, P., & Vithal, R. (1998). Research methods of "north" revisited from the "south". Paper presented at the Proceedings of the Twenty-second Conference of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education, Stellenbosch, South Africa.

From: <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of Alfredo Jornet Gil <a.j.gil@ils.uio.no>
Date: Wednesday, 8 April 2020 at 9:28 am
To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: General check-in?

John,

The list you just started about how we, as a relatively privileged community of scholars, can contribute seems to me like one right thing to do, here and elsewhere. Let me copy it here just to amplify and for anyone to expand on it:

  1.  Supporting our colleagues – we have unprecedently powerful communication technologies at our disposal – use them for good rather than evil. This is especially important in Africa and South America where the tidal wave (and I use this term advisedly recalling the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami<https://journals.openedition.org/cybergeo/24607>) is about to hit.
  2.  Considering the influence of culture (it is in our title) on the worldwide response to Covid-19. David has already flagged the work unit as a unit of social organisation in China.
  3.  We need to prepare for the post-Covid-19 bounceback once we have a vaccine. The existential crisis (and again I use the word with trepidation after the disastrous record of a former Prime Minister’s use of the adjective<https://journals.openedition.org/cybergeo/24607>) we have is climate change and we can use the present crisis to delay or accelerate action. I have heard a frequent cry of “It will be different from now on” and history tells us that this is will not be true unless we make it so. There are powerful conservative forces (in Australia, U.S.A., Brazil etc.) who will try and use this crisis to increase the mining and use of hydrocarbons. As Martin said we are living in the Anthropocene and our success in rapidly reducing the production and sequestering atmospheric carbon dioxide that will determine our future far more than our confused response to Covid-19 (and future communicable diseases).
  4.  ....

Just today, we were (and still are) drafting an editorial calling authors/scholars for submissions as to what they think we can contribute; at the immediate timescale of the pandemic crisis, but also at the larger timescale of the decades of climate crisis that we have ahead. I’ll share the text as soon as ready.

One thing we’ve been discussing is how in exceptional situations (which begin to be the norm) our roles and functions change (of course!). So that, for example (as our colleague Beth Ferholt was reflecting upon in a conversation), a teacher at a school at an underresourced community, when the school is closed and the community is suffering, reconfigures her role to cater for what she can (even if not being good at or trained for it) with regards to what is needed (whether this is care, money, coping support…). If we think ahead of the present and future crises, how can we rethink our role as academics, as educators, or the place and function of a journal like MCA? I think a list of things we can do is a very concrete way to at least partly address these questions. Thanks!

Alfredo