[Xmca-l] Re: Question on Imagination

Beth Ferholt bferholt@gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 23:21:17 PDT 2019

On all of our minds ... a few of us who study imagination in and through
playworlds (see lchc polyphonic autobiography) just wrote this to the New
Yorker:

We are two social scientists and an elementary school teacher who practice
and study intergenerational pretending and play and we would like to say,
is never a good time to stop pretending ... but now is probably a really
bad time to stop pretending.  While it is not often useful to be in denial,
shielding ourselves from things we fear, this activity is unrelated to
forms of collective pretending that could create ways of ending, or even
ways of continuing development, that could never have been anticipated.  As
human beings we create imagined futures to understand our pasts and so make
our presents bearable and beautiful.  When things are most difficult --
really all the time -- this creative cycle between fantasy and reality is
the best way for us to save our humanity, and maybe humanity itself, for as
long as possible.  What we all need to do now is to find ways to listen to
what the climate scientists tell us without ever stopping pretending or, in
other words, to listen to what the adult climate scientists tell us AND to
what our youngest fellow citizens, the children, told us on September 20th:
That we all must imagine world change as possible.

Beth

--
Beth Ferholt (pronouns: she/her/hers)
Associate Professor

Affiliated Faculty, Program in Urban Education, CUNY Graduate Center
Affiliated Faculty, School of Education and Communication, Jönköping
University

Email: bferholt@brooklyn.cuny.edu
CC bferholt@gmail.com if writing to CUNY address.
Phone: (718) 951-5205