[Xmca-l] Re: Hegel for Social Movements

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 14:20:40 PDT 2019

Andy--

So it's not "Hegel for Linguists"? I'm not so sure. It depends what kind of
linguist you are, I think. Systemic-functional linguistics is an explicitly
Marxist approach (see Halliday's "The Influence of Marxism", in "Halliday
in the Twenty-first Century"), and Halliday himself got his start in
linguistics in one of the great social movements of the twentieth
century--the Chinese revolution. Ruqaiya Hasan certainly knew Hegel better
than I did.

The reason I mention it is that, we are re-translating Chapter Five of T&S
to be Chapter Ten of Pedology of the Adolescent (we thought this would
involve minor changes, but our language skills have changed alot since we
did T&S twelve years ago). Being rather "visual-illustrative" (there's a
good Russian word for this, but no very good word in English), I got caught
up in your God's Eye View of the Hegel universe on p. 157. And the left leg
of it, the Logic, still looks to me like a map of Chapter Five/Ten.

Syncretic heaps are pure being--they are based on quantity, quality, and
measure. Complexes are syncretic heaps which are reorganized by reflection,
by appearance, and ultimately (pseudoconceptually) by actuality. The real
concept is the unity of subject, object, and idea--but also a
recapitulation of the syncretic heap (Subject only), the complex (Object),
and the Act-ual.

Vygotsky struggles a little with the Logic because it's kind of "outside
in": the genetic law insists that every function appears twice, first
inter- and then intra-personally. That means that the child's own
development happens for others before it happens for the child himself or
herself. And that means that the starting point is not one but two.

So for example Paula Towsey, in her paper in MCA ("Wolves in Sheep's
Clothing", Towsey and Macdonald 2009), says that Vygotsky uses
"pseudoconcept" in two contradictory ways--first, as an umbrella term that
covers ALL the complexes (and that's how she's labelled her pictures).
Secondly, as a unique stage WITHIN complexes--the highest, transitional
form, the bridge to the concept.

I think one way to resolve this contradiction is to say that Chapter
Five/Ten is abstraction in action--it's a kind of desert island on which
children play without adults, and the child's forms of thinking display
what they would be without any adult influence. But what we see in "real"
life is mostly pseudoconcepts, because in real life the starting point is
not one but two.

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New Article:
Han Hee Jeung & David Kellogg (2019): A story without SELF: Vygotsky’s
pedology, Bruner’s constructivism and Halliday’s construalism in
understanding narratives by
Korean children, Language and Education, DOI: 10.1080/09500782.2019.1582663
To link to this article: https://doi.org/10.1080/09500782.2019.1582663

Some e-prints available at:
https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/KHRxrQ4n45t9N2ZHZhQK/full?target=10.1080/09500782.2019.1582663