[Xmca-l] Re: V. V. Davydov’s mathematics curriculum

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 13:04:33 PDT 2019

There are example fragments in Peter Moxhay's 2008 translation of "Problems
of Developmental Instruction". There are example fragments in numerous
JREEP papers too, from psychologists practicing developmental instruction
(Kharkov school and others).

Although not strictly part of a course "content', the core of this material
is the completely different approach to "instruction" ("instruction" is
perhaps a poor choice of label, given its connotations). In that respect,
if one tried to transplant merely the curriculum to a conventional
approach, it would be clear that one was not achieving developmental
instruction. Hence, being able to work out an appropriate curriculum might
be considered a minimum qualification for delivering it.

A while back, Galina Zuckerman (cc'd), contributed a few emails pertaining
to her work, which might be considered as continuing to carry the flag for
Davydov's approach. My impression was that she had made advances on the
dialogic side of things with respect to dynamics of engagement.

Best,
Huw