[Xmca-l] Re: Doubt: Translation - Dictionary of Psychology (Vygotsky and Varshava)

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Thu Nov 7 16:42:02 PST 2019

In the Special Issue of MCA on Perezhivanie, Nikolai Veresov
cited this dictionary:

"In 1931 Vygotsky defined /perezhivanie/ as follows:

/"Perezhivanie/(переживание) is a common name for direct
psychological experience[1] <#_ftn1>. From a subjective
perspective, every psychological process is /perezhivanie/.
In every /perezhivanie/ we distinguish:firstly, an act, and
secondly, the content of /perezhivanie/. The first is an
activity related to the appearance of certain
/perezhivanie/; the second is the content, the composition
of what is experienced (Varshava & Vygotsky 1931, p. 128).

"This umbrella definition is an “indefinite definition”
(i.e., “every psychological process is /perezhivanie/”).
However, this definition drew from a Psychological
Dictionary and reflected the traditional classical meaning
of the term /perezhivanie/ as it existed in psychology at
that time, having originated from Dilthey, Dewey and James.

"...Varshava, B., Vygotsky, L. (1931). /Psihologicheskii
slovar/ [Psychological dictionary]. Mocsow, Gosudarstvennoye
Uchebno-pedagogicheskoye Izdatelstvo."

*Andy Blunden*
Hegel for Social Movements <https://brill.com/view/title/54574>
Home Page <https://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm>