[Xmca-l] Re: Saussure vs Peirce

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Sun Mar 17 17:12:36 PDT 2019

Yes, so we're almost in furious agreement on 'utterance'.
But this contradicted by Akhutina saying 'the word is a
compressed version of the utterance'. It is not. A 'word' is
something else - it is a sign for a concept.

The limit case of an utterance, such as when a person
responds: "Rubbish!" is also stretching the meaning of
'word' to its limits, so I don't think this is what is
meant. It is just wrong.

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm