[Xmca-l] Re: Saussure vs Peirce

Arturo Escandon arturo.escandon@gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 23:42:19 PDT 2019

Thanks for that conceptual jewel, mate.

Let me bring here Akhutina to further show their complementariness:

The minimal holistic unit of conversation is the utterance. An utterance,
unlike a sentence, is complete in itself. The utterance always carries
within it the marks and features of who is speaking to whom, for what
reason and in what situation; it is polyphonic. An utterance develops from
a motivation, “a volitional objective” and progresses through inner speech
to external speech. The prime mover of the semantic progression (from the
inner word that is comprehensible to me alone to the external speech that
he, the listener, will understand) is the comparison of my subjective,
evanescent sense, which I attribute to the given word, and its objective
(constant for both me and my listener) meaning.Thus, the major building
material for speech production is the living two-voice word. But polyphony
is a feature of the utterance as expressed in the word; the word carrying
personal sense is an abbreviation of the utterance. Thus, the utterance and
the word, as a compressed version of the utterance, are the units of speech
acts, communication, and consciousness.

Best

Arturo

--