[Xmca-l] Re: Saussure vs Peirce

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Fri Mar 15 21:05:01 PDT 2019

Arturo, I think Vygotsky and Bakhtin have two distinct units
of analysis here, and both give us a specific insight which
the other does not.

"Word" in the sense Vygotsky is using it in Chapter 1 of T&S
is inclusive of any phrase or word which is the sign for a
concept. "Utterance" for Bakhtin is a turn in dialogue,
i.e., a move in a language game (to use Wittgenstein's term
for the same entity). The utterance does not tell us
anything about the concepts being evoked. "Word meaning"
does not tell us how it figures in a language game, and
therefore does not tell us about the relations of
subordination or solidarity, etc., being produced.

That's how I see it, anyway.

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm