[Xmca-l] Re: Indigenous Australian English

Elizabeth Fein nickrenz@uchicago.edu
Fri Mar 15 05:56:37 PDT 2019

This conversation is also making me think of a recently emerging option at
least in English vernacular (I don't know if this is showing up in other
languages): dropping the preposition "of" before an abstract noun in order
to emphasize the authoritative power of the concept itself in the absence
of any specific manifestation.  (i.e. "...because *science*" or "because
*reasons*"). This is a bit different of course because it is a deliberate
grammatical modification to an existing form that calls attention to itself
as such.

Best,
Elizabeth