[Xmca-l] Indigenous Australian English

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Fri Mar 15 04:56:11 PDT 2019

While we have the attention of some linguists ....
Indigenous Australians have a way of using certain specific
words, for example, country, culture, language, community,
which in English we usually use with a personal pronoun, as
in "I can speak your language," or article, "is this the
country you come from?" as if they were countable nouns, but
which Indigenous Australians use without an article or
personal pronoun, as in "I went to country" or "when I speak
language ...," much like the word "home" which can be used
without the "my" or "your."

This usage conveys a meaning which is generally understood,
but is used only in relation to the Indigenous people. I
understand it. But I find it hard to put into words what is
actually being done when words are used like this. I use
words like "science" or "religion" in the same way, I guess.
What does it mean linguistically??

Andy