[Xmca-l] Re: Conceptual Models in CHI or Socio Technical Systems

peter jones h2cmng@yahoo.co.uk
Sat Mar 2 14:48:16 PST 2019

Hello Greg and all,
The points you raise below and in the (brief look) discussion suggests you might consider as one idea / resource - Hodges' model (better described as) a conceptual framework.
Originally created in health care and education in mid-1980s with four purposes:
   - Reflection and critical thinking;
   - Person-centered care;
   - Help bridge the theory - practice gap;
   - Facilitate holistic care (physical, mental, social...).

Hodges' model is broad (like Activity Theory as per your note) but it is also generic, universal, situated and actually 'generational' in that a concept it is based upon is the 'health career'.
This is NOT health jobs - professionalism (but can be - as a situation and context) but refers to the idea of 'LIFE CHANCES'.
With 'generations' and your aims and objectives there is far more commonality...

This concept and the model's structure gives rise to four knowledge domains.
Your references to brainstorming, illustration, framing, 'spaces' and diagrams also 'fit'.
There is a paper on the model's socio-technical applications:
Jones, P. (2009) Socio-Technical Structures, the Scope of Informatics and Hodges’ model, IN, Staudinger, R., Ostermann, H., Bettina Staudinger, B. (Eds.), Handbook of Research in Nursing Informatics and Socio-Technical Structures, Idea Group Publishing, Inc. Chap. 11, pp. 160-174.
I have attended several events on socio-technical approaches.

Additional papers are listed on the blog:
http://hodges-model.blogspot.com/

The model can also be related (I believe) to Gardenfor's 'Conceptual Spaces' and Meyer & Land's 'Threshold Concepts' (theoretical underpinnings?).

The blog includes many posts on these too and 'sociotechnical' - 'socio-technical'.
A key (for your community and 'mine' in health care) is POLITICAL which is one of the four domains.
In this respect the model is more relevant now than ever:
human rightsinformation accessconsentgovernment policy - climate changemental capacitylawdata securitycorporationsgender politicsAIdemographic change - employmentmigrationpopulismfake news

I still maintain the ambition to create online a 'reflective workbench'.
Even your 'users' with skills but without motivation can be represented in Hodges' model.
The (INDIVIDUAL) intra- interpersonal domain which includes - cognition, beliefs, attitudes, 'personality', values, trust, competence, motivation, emotion, mood, education, aptitude, memory ...

While socio-technical operates diagonally in the model, there are other disciplinary bridges:
SOCIO-ECONOMICPHYSICO-POLITICALPSYCHO-SOMATICMIND-BODY
BIO-PSYCHO-SOCIALGEO-POLITICAL[SUBJECTIVE - OBJECTIVE][QUALITATIVE - QUANTITATIVE]

I'd be pleased to try to answer any questions and f/w papers if needed. Also keen to network and potentially collaborate.
I hope this is some help Greg?
Peter Jones
Community Mental Health Nurse & Researcher
CMHT Brookside
Aughton Street
Ormskirk L39 3BH, UK
Blogging at "Welcome to the QUAD"