[Xmca-l] Conceptual Models in CHI or Socio Technical Systems

Greg Mcverry jgregmcverry@gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 07:17:31 PST 2019

Hello everyone,

As many of you know I am an active member an open source community
#IndieWeb..

We have used a model to represent the software gaol called generations:
https://indieweb.org/generations

We want to rethink the model, for background discussion see: thttps://
chat.indieweb.org/meta/2019-03-02#t1551491484847800

Basically what happened is the model lead to classifying people rather than
snapshots of time and software develoipment.

So we want a new conceptual model:

   - Recognize the bidirectional relationship between the software, the
   community, the learner.
   - We stress first way to change the world is to change your self (get a
   website)
   - We want to account some people want to increase their skills and learn
   more complicated tech
   - Others may have all the skills but not want to be bothered
   - We also do not address the economic role social media plays..using
   their capital to ensure dominance..not sure we need to

This will be a long term project as we try to reconceptualize our tiny
effort to save the web from corporate power.

I am reading up a bit on "systems innovations" from those who take
ecological views of socio human technical systems

(traditional information processing seems to be be where the generations
thinking first came into manufacturing research...though used differently
as idea generation or hardware generation)

But we want to come at this from multiple perspcetives. Already using
Activity Theory but its' too broad. Basically want to rethink that into our
context.

Anyone know of examples or fields we should check out?

(btw if you ever want a self organized learning space to study IndieWeb
community is fascinating)

Greg