[Xmca-l] Re: Research on refugees/immigrants/migrants and Legitimate Peripheral Participation?

Alfredo Jornet Gil a.j.gil@ils.uio.no
Fri Jun 28 04:03:38 PDT 2019

Hi Helena, all,

yes, I can see how CHAT can be relevant to fighting oppression and de-humanisation. I was wondering more about the peripheral participation metaphor in Lave and Wenger. I guess my question has to do with the challenge of thinking of participation in a context in which all opportunities to pursue the satisfaction of your basic human needs are shutdown and taken away from you through violence. Andy seems to imply in his response that this is still some form of participation. Not sure about that. I wonder if the notion of participation holds when agency no longer is a possibility. But of course, I was reducing the question to the very narrow case of children being held in inhumane conditions. I thought that this reduction to the extreme may be useful for thinking the limits of our theoretical premises, an exercise that may be particularly relevant in the context of existential crisis in which we find ourselves; as a means to imagine how far we can go with our current ideas and what sort of action/thinking needs to be done in a context in which we may be pushed to the limit, right before the point of no longer being.

Sorry Greg for having taken your initial request for a walk... Thanks for having opening the other thread to more properly address your initial question.

Alfredo

________________________________
From: Helena Worthen <helenaworthen@gmail.com>
Sent: 27 June 2019 15:13
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Cc: Alfredo Jornet Gil
Subject: Re: [Xmca-l] Re: Research on refugees/immigrants/migrants and Legitimate Peripheral Participation?

Alfredo — Try turning the question around: how does CHAT surface (make visible to the researcher) the activities that are taking place in a community of practice where people are fighting oppression and de-humanisation? What are these people doing to carry on the fight?

CHAT’s power to reveal conflict and contradiction comes into play here.

This is an issue that kept rising and then sinking during  the consensus points discussion for Re-Gen.

helenaworthen@gmail.com<mailto:helenaworthen@gmail.com>
helena.worthen1