[Xmca-l] Re: Gunther Kress

Alfredo Jornet Gil a.j.gil@ils.uio.no
Fri Jun 21 13:52:09 PDT 2019

Thank you for sharing these very sad news, Shirley. Kress has been and continues to be a most important reference to any scholar interested in the role of communication in learning and education. Very sorry to hear of this loss.

Alfredo

From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of Shirley Franklin <s.franklin08@btinternet.com>
Sent: 21 June 2019 19:07
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l]  Gunther Kress

Members of this list will be very upset to hear that sadly Gunther Kress died, suddenly, of a heart attack, in Italy.

His work in semiotics, genres and  meaning-making  was inspired and inspiring. For me it was life- changing. I will never forget when he first came to the Institute of Education in 1991 and introduced a very different way of looking at texts, to the English department there. He continued to be a lifelong friend and colleague.

Shirley Franklin