[Xmca-l] Re: Marx and Der Judenfrage

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Sat Jun 8 18:54:03 PDT 2019

It was I who inflicted *The House of Government* on David.  For those
interested, I would also
welcoming your views on the work. Here is what a blurb on the book says
gets at my interest.
I think that David choice of "autobiography" as description of the method
gets at my interest.

A simple characterization of the book stolen from William Taubman on the
book flat:
THe House of Government traces the public and personal lives of residents
of a unique, elite Moscow housing complex as they evolve from fanatic
Bolshevik revolutionaries to victims of Stalin's terror.
The book is based on diaries, letters, memoirs and interviews featuring
hundreds of rare photos and combining history biography and social theory.

Alexander Luria's apartment was just across the bridge from it, and a
member of Luria's research
group in the 50's lived there. Across the river was the Kremlin.

I have been trying to imaging the circumstances that Vygotsky encountered
in the period of his active engagement of what we call the cultural
historical project. All the Russian historians I know, older people to be
sure, think highly of this book while disputing the kinds of thing that
David and Michael can appreciate.

So if there is interest in taking the time and effort, I would be glad very
interested in your thoughts.
My own experience in the USSR was deeply affected by these very events *in
which they participated*.
It was not an easy environment when your life's work on a new science of
human development becomes
the title word in a government decree that is life threatening. I so the
contents of the book are of special
concern.

--
We become ourselves through others -L.S.Vygotsky