[Xmca-l] Re: Language, mind and objectivity

Charles Bazerman bazerman@education.ucsb.edu
Fri Jan 25 08:31:41 PST 2019

As I said, I do not want to go through the epistemological rabbit hole.,
but I will respond to you. I do not hold the position you attribute to me.

"Phlogisten" is a meaning people attributed at some times to their
perceptions of the world. There are many attributions fthat have come and
gone, and many we currently some different disciplines are not held by
other disciplines or by other groups of people, and may well vanish within
the domains they are now recognized.   I did not assert that any set of
meanings or attributions  or perceptions existed apart from humans.  I only
asserted that some things that we attribute meanings to exist beyond
ourselves and we can attempt to gain evidence of them.  The point I was
making about language was just an elaboration of James' point that apart
from ourselves what exists of language are its physical traces (and even
their physical traces are created by humans or other sentient beings).
Meaning (which is typically an important assumption of language studies)
does not exist apart from the beings that attribute meaning.

Chuck
----
די פאַרייניקטע שטאַטן איז אַ פאָלק פון ימאַגראַנץ
The U.S. is a nation of immigrants.
History will judge.
https://bazerman.education.ucsb.edu/
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Charles_Bazerman