[Xmca-l] Re: Intrinsic / Extrinsic Motivation

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Mon Aug 26 00:29:33 PDT 2019

Thanks for your very interesting observations, Lara.

I'd like to suggest a way of seeing what is intrinsic to
college education, of how and why joy can be derived from
learning a fact of history, a principle of nursing, the
novelty of a particular author, or whatever. What makes it
enjoyable? What is specific about this pleasure which is
distinct from the pleasure of watching a movie or playing a
computer game?

What is the object of College? At the lowest level of
ethical development (above "Mum made me go!") it is the
intention of gaining a job certificate for the welfare
obtained by means of a wage.Instrumental from beginning to
end. Nowadays, many governments conceive of colleges in a
similarly instrumental way - to generate labour power to
work in enterprises to generate profits. Few governments
really understand the idea education in the humanities and
sciences in the intention of raising the quality of social life.

Likewise, it is anticipation of participating in projects in
which they will take a real interest in their working life
which offers the possibility of gaining intrinsic joy from
learning about various facts, principles, methods,
innovations, etc., so later to be able to further the
profession, raise the quality of social life, improve the
lives of ill people, etc. On both sides it implies a mature
conception of what college is /for/.

If that doesn't help, either they're not ready for college
or the college is not offering something in which it is
possible to get interested in.

Andy

*Andy Blunden*
https://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm