[Xmca-l] Re: Intrinsic / Extrinsic Motivation

Lara Beaty larabeaty@gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 10:33:27 PDT 2019

Hi All.

Motivation was in some ways my introduction to psychology at 18, and I spent a lot of time exploring ideas  about intrinsic and extrinsic motivation, self-efficacy, self-determination, and then the long list of motives (power, intimacy, affiliation, etc.) that have been studied, which is when I realized that the effort to isolate every motive without reference to the context wasn’t getting us anywhere. There was an early paper by White who developed the idea of effectance motivation that intrigued me most: the idea of just wanting to be effective — to be alive by impacting the world in some way. My advisor Joe Glick helped me with a book by D’Andrade and Strauss, which helped me move the ideas past individualistic concepts, but Joe also used to describe Piaget’s theory as containing the idea “if you’ve got it, flaunt it.” In essence, I think life is to boring if we do nothing, and if you want to call that innate, then so be it.

I often worry that the idea of object leads us to lose that idea of doing something for intrinsic reasons or simply to be effective, and I think Lois Holzman and others have focused on this in terms of play. It’s an unresolved question for me, but I like to think of it as dialectical: Intrinsic and extrinsic motivation are mutually defining and inseparable and contextualized.

When I’m teaching community college students, however, the simplicity of the terms is a useful tool for helping students think about why they are in college, given that most of them have never been exposed in any significant way to the idea of doing college for the simple purpose of knowing more and creating possibilities for new ways of thinking. I keep hoping to help them find some joy in learning and development.

Best,
Lara

Dr. Lara Margaret Beaty
Professor of Psychology