[Xmca-l] Re: Repair in inner speech

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 18:03:26 PDT 2019

Unfortunately, for technical reasons, most of the data we have of the
sociogenesis of language is literary language; it is a little like studying
history exclusively through the lives of kings). But we can make out a
somewhat similar phenomenon in the sociogenesis of inner speech in
literature (including voiceovers in movies).

Before Shakespeare, private speech in theatre was largely limited to what
we call "asides". This is what I would call an adult private speech: the
function is to let the audience know that my public speech is not to be
trusted. Such private speech is actually identical to speech which is
addressed to someone else, but not to the general (onstage) public. So for
example in the last scene of Hamlet, Claudius says "It is the poisoned
cup!" when Gertrude is about to drink the fatal wine. In some productions
he is talking to Laertes, but in other productions he is talking to himself
and there isn't a very dramatic difference. Voiceovers in movies still tend
to function this way.

After Shakespeare, though, private speech in theatre is expanded into what
we now call "soliloquies". This is not adult private speech: it's
full-blown inner speech, but inner speech as Virginia Woolf interprets it,
not inner speech as James Joyce mimics it. It is actually far richer, far
more complex (yes, in the "complexive" sense) and far LESS simple than
public speech is. But although it is semantically richer, it is
lexicogrammatically a lot poorer, because it is a lot more elliptical.
Woolf tries to render the semantic wealth of inner speech, while Joyce
concentrates on the lexicogrammatical poverty.

An analogy (excuse my analogies--I'm a very complexive thinker) is the
distinction between recitative and aria in opera. Recitatives are dialogue,
and they can also include asides, but when they do these asides do not have
any independent role in the score. Arias are different. They are generally
not addressed to other characters (and when they are, they tend to
realize very intimate moments between lovers); they are essentially sung
soliloquies.

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New Article:
Han Hee Jeung & David Kellogg (2019): A story without SELF: Vygotsky’s
pedology, Bruner’s constructivism and Halliday’s construalism in
understanding narratives by
Korean children, Language and Education, DOI: 10.1080/09500782.2019.1582663
To link to this article: https://doi.org/10.1080/09500782.2019.1582663

Some e-prints available at:
https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/KHRxrQ4n45t9N2ZHZhQK/full?target=10.1080/09500782.2019.1582663