[Xmca-l] Re: anachronism

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Mon Sep 17 09:47:07 PDT 2018

Hi Andy,

"Gaffe" may very well be the word that you want, if  you want a single word. A gaffe is a SOCIAL blunder.  Rather than say "cultural faux pas" you could say "cultural gaffe" just as well. That you must put "cultural" in front of "faux pas" means "faux pas" doesn't do the job you intend, wouldn't you say?

"Faux pas" literally means "false step" so if you want it to be English then say "false step," or "cultural false step." Still not quite effective, is it.

Also, what you've brought up pertains to a point of view. Do you mean to look from the cultural standpoint of those who are offended? or from those who offend? Or from a more neutral standpoint?

Also, "solecism" doesn't mean "un-cultured". One of the definitions is a mistake in the context of etiquette. Etiquette is a cultural construct. Solecism means an error but a particular kind of error. It seems to be what you are talking about. It just doesn't refer to "culture" in the way that you want, perhaps because "etiquette" is the defining concept standing between "solecism" and "culture."

"Etiquette" has a color of class and has to do with manners, and I suppose that anthropologists don't breezily throw around the word "etiquette" when analyzing their own gaffes while studying a culture in the field. Or maybe they do?

I'm not sure why you would be against the use of "solecism."

(I might point out that "etiquette" is also a French word, and French has been called the language of diplomacy, maybe this is an indication why. Those French, why have a word for everything!!!)

Additionally, as seen here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solecism

there is a beneficial aspect to this word because it is also used in terms of grammar, from where it derives from the Greek. I support the word because what you are talking about is "cultural grammar" and what do you call it when someone pushes an incorrect usage into a cultural context. Seems descriptive and less loaded.

It's more likely that we are just not used to using such a word, because if we live in a hegemonic culture and we are not in a minority, we are comfortable making solecisms with impunity and never have to give pause for self-reflection when we have made a gaffe.

I actually like the word "gaffe," because it is also neutral and sounds more like an everyday word; it is accessible, as in "Who hasn't ever made a gaffe?" rather than "Who hasn't ever made a solecism?"

I'd suggest "solecism" as the scientific counterpart to an everyday "gaffe."

Kind regards,

Annalisa