[Xmca-l] Re: anachronism

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Mon Sep 17 00:00:01 PDT 2018

Andy,

Isn't that what "solecism" means essentially?

noun

  1.  a nonstandard or ungrammatical usage, as "unflammable" and "they was."
  2.  a breach of good manners or etiquette.
  3.  any error, impropriety, or inconsistency.

Related words to solecism are:

impropriety
blunder
abuse
error
barbarism
mistake
incongruity
blooper
slip
misusage
cacology

Now "cacology" is interesting. it means "a bad choice of words; faulty speech."

which derives from the Greek "kakologia" which means "ill report."

I also delved into the word meaning for "impropriety" and from there found "indecorous" which means:

  1.  not decorous; violating generally accepted standards of good taste or propriety; unseemly.

"gaffe" means "a social blunder; faux pas." That might be a good one as it uses "faux pas" in its definition. It is a social blunder, but that doesn't really have the same specific meaning for someone who is outside the culture, but I'd say "gaffe" is pretty good. Or "indecorous" but that seems and act done with intent, whereas a "gaffe" is unintentional.

Also this word cloud:

goof
fault
lapse
indiscretion
blooper
inaccuracy
error
gaffe
oversight
bumble
bungle
err
flounder
fluff
solecism
impropriety
flub
trip
muff
slip

or another word cloud:

miscue
lapse
recklessness
error
gaffe
misjudgment
goof
folly
imprudence
foolishness
thoughtlessness
hastiness
stupidity
slips
tumble
rashness
gaucherie
crudeness
excitability
foul-up

I also thought about the opposite of "diplomacy" and came up with "maladroit" or "klutzy" or "impolitic" or "brash" or "vacuous" or "doltish" or "oafish" or even "graceless" or "lumpish"

Which of course circles us back to "lumpen" and you would know where that word has been showcased, Andy. 😃

Kind regards,

Annalisa