[Xmca-l] What is science?: Where to start doctoral students?

Beth Ferholt bferholt@gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 10:05:27 PDT 2018

I'm starting to take the role of advisor on doctoral dissertations and
wonder how best to begin to discuss "what is science?" with students who
will need to respond concisely when asked about the rigor and reliability
of their formative intervention, narrative and/or autobiographical studies.

I'm looking for an overview or paper that does more than argue the value of
one approach -- something to start them off thinking about the issues, not
immerse them in one perspective quite yet.

If not an overview then maybe a paper that contextualizes "rigor" and
"reliability".

Obviously this is an endless topic but do some people reading XMCA have
some favorite papers that they give to their advisees or use when they
teach a methods class?

Thanks!
Beth
--
Beth Ferholt
Associate Professor, Department of Early Childhood and Art Education;

Email: bferholt@brooklyn.cuny.edu
Phone: (718) 951-5205
Fax: (718) 951-4816