[Xmca-l] Re: The last chapter of Thinking and Speech reconstructed

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Thu Nov 29 05:24:26 PST 2018

Thank you for sharing this, Mike. And all credit to Van der
Veer and Zavershneva for their masterful excavation of
Vygotsky's sources in the final chapter. Perhaps they are
correct, that the citations were speedily put together with
a view to getting a doctorate while requirements were
temporarily relaxed, and after he died with the work
incomplete, the editors, being human, did a sloppier job
than the authors of this article would could have done so
many years later. This is possible. But I tend to favour an
alternative explanation.

Firstly, I confess that I am not familiar with the history
of the discipline of academic scientific writing. Others on
this list may be, and I'd be interested to know what the
norms were in 1934 and in the Soviet Union in particular. I
have only gradually learnt academic scientific writing,
thanks to my association with MCA and the tireless
assistance of the editors there. But prior to about 2007 I
wrote as a Trotskyist and my experience with writing was
very different. Before I got my first article published in
MCA in 2007, I had written two books: Beyond Betrayal (1991)
was  written without a shred of consciousness of being
original; although I signed my name to it, I took as the
expression of the view of the small Trotskyist group I
belonged to; all I was doing was setting it on paper. For
Ethical Politics (2003) was written again without any claim
to originality, and one whole chapter was made up of
material I picked from the brain of a comrade who knew much
more about Ethics than I did. The idea of quoting sources
and focusing on providing an original contribution to the
existing body of science was novel to me.

If Vygotsky was mobilising the discoveries of contemporary
psychology towards an important insight, are we sure that it
was improper for him to cite these co-thinkers without
sourcing the quotes?

Van der Veer and Zavershneva had done a marvellous job in
tracking down the quotes. When I set about finding the
source of everything Vygotsky said about Hegel, I was able
to do this because I had read all the same books about Marx
and Hegel that Vygotsky had read. They are all part of the
canon of a certain type of Marxism. All bar one statement
Vygotsky made about Vygotsky was lifted from one of half a
dozen books which are part of this canon and with which I
was very familiar, except for one extended passage which
seemed to be Vygotsky's own synopsis of a part of Hegel's
Psychology in the Philosophy of Subjective Spirit. Anyone
could have done the same kind of job, as I did for
Vygotsky-on-Hegel, on my two books mentioned above. And yet,
for all that, I was saying something original.

Combined with this, isn't is a fact that Vygotsky knew he
did not have long to live in 1934, and he was in a hurry to
complete this work - and thank God he did hurry to complete
it! - this work which is to this day the most widely known
and cited of his entire legacy. So even if he was not as
blasé about citing sources etc., as Andy-before-2007 was,
knowing he had little time left was reason enough o cut
corners. That his editors could not do what van der Veer and
Zavershneva did, but decided just to omit the quote marks,
is believable. Also, maybe it was not politically correct in
the USSR in the shadow of the Moscow Trials to quote
approvingly so many "bourgeois psychologists"?

Personally, I find this a more likely explanation than the
one favoured by the authors.

Andy

PS. the fact that I completed a PhD in Engineering does not
contradict the fact that I was unacquainted with academic
writing, and likewise the several articles I published years
ago on diverse topics. It's a long story.

Andy Blunden
http://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm