[Xmca-l] Re: language and music

Alfredo Jornet Gil a.j.gil@ils.uio.no
Wed Nov 21 00:07:31 PST 2018

Henry's remarks about no directors and symphonic potential ​of conversation reminded me of G. Bateson's metalogue "why do things have outlines" (attached). ​Implicitly, it raises the question of units and elements, of how a song, a dance, a poem, a conversation, to make sense, they must have a recognizable outline​​, even in improvisation​; they must be wholes, or suggest wholes. That makes them "predictable". And yet, when you are immersed in a conversation, the fact that you can never exactly predict what comes next is the whole point that keep us talking, dancing, drawing, etc!

Alfredo

________________________________
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of HENRY SHONERD <hshonerd@gmail.com>
Sent: 21 November 2018 06:22
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: language and music

I’d like to add to the call and response conversation that discourse, this conversation itself, is staged. There are performers and and an audience made up partly of performers themselves. How many are lurkers, as I am usually? This conversation has no director, but there are leaders. There is symphonic potential. And even gestural potential, making the chat a dance. All on line.:)
Henry