[Xmca-l] Re: Michael C. Corballis

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Thu Nov 15 18:19:22 PST 2018

Oddly, Amazon delivered the book to me yesterday and I am
currently on p.5. Fortunately, Corballis provides a synopsis
of his book at the end, which I sneak-previewed last night.

The interesting thing to me is his claim, similar to that of
Merlin Donald, which goes like this.

It would be absurd to suggest that proto-humans discovered
that they had this unique and wonderful vocal apparatus and
decided to use it for speech. Clearly_there was rudimentary
language before speech was humanly possible_. In
development, a behaviour is always present before the
physiological adaptations which facilitate it come into
being. I.e, proto-humans found themselves in circumstances
where it made sense to develop interpersonal, voluntary
communication, and to begin with they used what they had -
the ability to mime and gesture, make facial expressions and
vocalisations (all of which BTW can reference non-present
entities and situations) This is an activity which further
produces the conditions for its own development. Eventually,
over millions of years, the vocal apparatus evolved under
strong selection pressure due to the practice of non-speech
communication as an integral part of their evolutionary
niche. In other words, rudimentary wordless speech gradually
became modern speech, along with all the accompanying facial
expressions and hand movements.

It just seems to me that, as you suggest, collective
activity must have been a part of those conditions fostering
communication (something found in our nearest evolutionary
cousins who also have the elements of rudimentary speech)  -
as was increasing tool-using, tool-making, tool-giving and
tool-instructing.

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm