[Xmca-l] Re: What is science?: Where to start doctoral students?

Martin Packer mpacker@cantab.net
Fri Nov 2 09:26:39 PDT 2018

Okay, so now we need recommendations for a good introductory philosophy text!  :)

Epistemology and ontology are certainly interrelated. One could say that there is no epistemology without ontology: no knowledge without assumptions about the kinds of entity that can be known. Can the properties of electrons be known? Can the properties of God be known? Can the properties of elves be known? Your answer to each question will depend on your assumptions about the existence of the entity involved.

You exist (ontological claim). You also know (epistemological claim) that you exist (at least while you are awake) ...

I once put the matter this way: "Epistemology is the systematic consideration, in philosophy and elsewhere, of knowing: when knowledge is valid, what counts as truth, and so on. Ontology is the consideration of being: what is, what exists, what it means for something—or somebody—to be."

Packer, M. J., & Goicoechea, J. (2000). Sociocultural and constructivist theories of learning: Ontology, not just epistemology. Educational Psychologist, 35(4), 227-241.

<https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1207/S15326985EP3504_02 <https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1207/S15326985EP3504_02>>

Martin