[Xmca-l] Fwd: Please come to the first-ever HxA conference: June 15, NYC

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Wed May 16 11:36:02 PDT 2018

For New Yorkers on this list
mike,

*From:* Jonathan Haidt <jhaidt@stern.nyu.edu>
*Date:* May 10, 2018 at 5:32:55 PM CDT
*To:* Laura Lalinde <laura@lauralalinde.com>, <HXA-announcements@
googlegroups.com>
*Subject:* *Please come to the first-ever HxA conference: June 15, NYC*

On Friday June 15, Heterodox Academy <http://heterodoxacademy.org/> will
host a day-long conference at The Times Center <http://thetimescenter.com/> in
Manhattan to explore ways to improve viewpoint diversity, open inquiry, and
constructive disagreement on college campuses. We have an extraordinary
list of speakers lined up, including the presidents of the University of
Chicago and Wesleyan University; Nadine Strossen (former president of
ACLU); Alice Dreger (formerly of Northwestern); Glenn Loury (Brown);
Richard Shweder (Chicago), and many others. You can see the full list here
<http://www.hxaopenmindconference.org/events/2018-hxa-open-mind-conference-and-awards/speakers-8596628ee12c4ed290f05ffc5254f82c.aspx>,
and you can see the full
<http://www.hxaopenmindconference.org/events/2018-hxa-open-mind-conference-and-awards/agenda-8596628ee12c4ed290f05ffc5254f82c.aspx>

<http://www.hxaopenmindconference.org/events/2018-hxa-open-mind-conference-and-awards/agenda-8596628ee12c4ed290f05ffc5254f82c.aspx>agenda
here
<http://www.hxaopenmindconference.org/events/2018-hxa-open-mind-conference-and-awards/agenda-8596628ee12c4ed290f05ffc5254f82c.aspx>.
You can also see who won our first-ever awards
<http://www.hxaopenmindconference.org/events/2018-hxa-open-mind-conference-and-awards/custom-18-8596628ee12c4ed290f05ffc5254f82c.aspx>
for
leadership, courage, scholarship, and institutional excellence.

So many of us in higher education are puzzled by what is happening, and how
best to teach and lead in a rapidly changing campus climate, nested within
an increasingly polarized democracy whose problems are amplified by social
media. On June 15 we will make progress toward understanding our
predicament and our way forward.

If you’re interested, please click here to register
<https://www.hxaopenmindconference.org/events/2018-hxa-open-mind-conference-and-awards/registration-8596628ee12c4ed290f05ffc5254f82c.aspx?fqp=true>,
before we begin advertising it to the general public next week. If you have
friends or students who might be able to attend, please forward this email
to them. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact Laura
Lalinde at lalinde@heterodoxacademy.org.
I hope you can join us in New York City. (The sessions will be recorded and
made available afterward, but it will be a lot more fun to be there,
together.)
jon

--
Jonathan Haidt
    Thomas Cooley Professor of Ethical Leadership
    NYU-Stern School of Business
    Business and Society Program, KMC Suite 7-150
<https://maps.google.com/?q=150+%0D%0A+44+West+4th+Street,+New+York,+NY+10012&entry=gmail&source=g>
    44 West 4th Street,
<https://maps.google.com/?q=150+%0D%0A+44+West+4th+Street,+New+York,+NY+10012&entry=gmail&source=g>
 New York, NY 10012
<https://maps.google.com/?q=150+%0D%0A+44+West+4th+Street,+New+York,+NY+10012&entry=gmail&source=g>
jhaidt@stern.nyu.edu,  (212) 992-6802,  @JonHaidt
     www.JonathanHaidt.com <http://www.jonathanhaidt.com/> (All
publications available here)
     www.RighteousMind.com <http://www.righteousmind.com/>,
www.EthicalSystems.org <http://www.ethicalsystems.org/>
     Coming Sept 4: The Coddling of the American Mind
<https://www.amazon.com/Coddling-American-Mind-Intentions-Generation/dp/0735224897>

--
To save everyone's inbox, "reply to all" is disabled for this list. If you
have any questions about HxA emails or membership, please email or forward

A man's mind-what there is of it- has always the advantage of being
masculine, - as the smallest birch-tree is of a higher kind than the most
soaring palm, - and even his ignorance is of a sounder quality.
---George Eliot