[Xmca-l] Re: Difference between appropriation and learning transfer

Alfredo Jornet Gil a.j.gil@iped.uio.no
Wed May 16 04:33:48 PDT 2018

Hi James,

sorry if I go a bit off-topic because of my ignorance, but what does "neo-Vygotskian" mean?

Alfredo Jornet
________________________________
New Article in the European Journal of Engineering Education,  "Collaborative design decision-making as social process". Free print available: https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/vCwCJBcyE5jMiZkZwAWR/full

From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of James Ma <jamesma320@gmail.com>
Sent: 16 May 2018 13:29
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Difference between appropriation and learning transfer

Hello Han Kim,
Another neo-Vygotskian theorist using the term appropriation was Barbara
Rogoff in "Apprenticeship in Thinking" (1990).
James Wertsch also used it in "Mind as Action" (1998).
Above all, Bakhtin's "The Dialogic Imagination" is very important.
James

*________________________________________________*

*James Ma  Independent Scholar **https://oxford.academia.edu/JamesMa

On 16 May 2018 at 11:42, Huw Lloyd <huw.softdesigns@gmail.com> wrote:

> Han Kim,
>
> Fundamentally AT is about development, not appropriation. So you might say
> appropriation was appropriated (an inevitable outcome). This is from Luria
> (1961): "It would not be wrong to say that the basic principle of Soviet
> psychology is the idea of development, the proposition that such mental
> activities as intelligent perception, purposive memory, active attention
> and deliberate action result from a lengthy evolution in a child's actual
> behavior."
>
> Development as distinct from conventional notions of learning is more
> difficult to communicate, perhaps because it often entails development.
> Reorganisation of the means of learning is a good starting point, which is
> what the notion of transfer implicitly points to, i.e. that which is beyond
> superficial learning. Probably the most succinct pointing to the
> distinction is in the experimental work of Gal'perin.
>
> Best,
> Huw
>
> On 15 May 2018 at 19:57, Kim, Han Gil <kim.3208@osu.edu> wrote:
>
> > Dear colleagues and seasoned scholars,
> >
> > I am looking for useful articles/books to better understand two similar
> > concepts (appropriation and transfer of learning).
> >
> > 1. Appropriation, one of the central concepts of activity theory
> > (Grossman, Smagorinsky & Valencia 1991; Leont’ev 1981; Wertsch 1991)
> >
> > 2. transfer of learning, especially in the area of Writing Across
> > Curriculum/discipline and/or L2 writing (contrastive rhetoric and English
> > for academic purposes).
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> > Thanks.

> > Han Kim
> >
> > Lecturer in Korean (as a foreign language)
> > Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures
> > College of Arts and Sciences
> >
> > I am what I learn. If I have seen further, it is only by standing upon
> the
> > shoulders of giants.

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>