[Xmca-l] Re: Difference between appropriation and learning transfer

Peter Smagorinsky smago@uga.edu
Tue May 15 12:13:15 PDT 2018

Here's one, although I no longer claim to be an activity theorist, which doesn't mean I disagree with what we said almost 20 years ago:
Grossman, P. L., Smagorinsky, P., & Valencia, S. (1999). Appropriating tools for teaching English: A theoretical framework for research on learning to teach. American Journal of Education, 108(1), 1-29. Available at http://www.petersmagorinsky.net/About/PDF/AJE/AJE1999.pdf

I know that in some cultural-historical thinking, "transfer" is too brittle a construct, and is more appropriately phrased as "appropriation" given that the knowledge gets adapted.

I did dabble with the question of transfer, before my immersion in Vygotskian theory, in writing a really long time ago, and we questioned the idea that there is general, transferable knowledge of writing:
Smagorinsky, P. & Smith, M. W. (1992). The nature of knowledge in composition and literary understanding: The question of specificity. Review of Educational Research, 62, 279-305. Available at http://www.petersmagorinsky.net/About/PDF/RER/RER1992.pdf

These free texts might help:
https://wac.appstate.edu/sites/wac.appstate.edu/files/images/WACRussell.pdf
And there's quite a large WAC collection at https://wac.colostate.edu/books/  all free

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Kim, Han Gil
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 2:57 PM
To: xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu
Subject: [Xmca-l] Difference between appropriation and learning transfer

Dear colleagues and seasoned scholars,

I am looking for useful articles/books to better understand two similar concepts (appropriation and transfer of learning).

1. Appropriation, one of the central concepts of activity theory (Grossman, Smagorinsky & Valencia 1991; Leont’ev 1981; Wertsch 1991)

2. transfer of learning, especially in the area of Writing Across Curriculum/discipline and/or L2 writing (contrastive rhetoric and English for academic purposes).

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Han Kim

Lecturer in Korean (as a foreign language) Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures College of Arts and Sciences

I am what I learn. If I have seen further, it is only by standing upon the shoulders of giants.