[Xmca-l] Difference between appropriation and learning transfer

Kim, Han Gil kim.3208@osu.edu
Tue May 15 11:57:12 PDT 2018

Dear colleagues and seasoned scholars,

I am looking for useful articles/books to better understand two similar concepts (appropriation and transfer of learning).

1. Appropriation, one of the central concepts of activity theory (Grossman, Smagorinsky & Valencia 1991; Leont’ev 1981; Wertsch 1991)

2. transfer of learning, especially in the area of Writing Across Curriculum/discipline and/or L2 writing (contrastive rhetoric and English for academic purposes).

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Han Kim

Lecturer in Korean (as a foreign language)
Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures
College of Arts and Sciences

I am what I learn. If I have seen further, it is only by standing upon the shoulders of giants.