[Xmca-l] Re: Cultural historical

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 14:39:58 PDT 2018

(Welcome back, Peter--great to see you back in form. I still remember your
fine presentation at ISCAR last summer, and the dinner which followed, when
we both ignored the food and stuffed our mouths with words instead....)

My grandma always said that God made mouths for eating and not for talking.
I was still chewing over your last one--the one about the relationship
between unconscious forms of activity like speaking and their more
conscious and deliberate ones (like speaking a second or third language)
when yesterday, Jiwon, one of my freshmen, tried to account for the fact
that Korean (which is an isolate apparently unrelated to other languages)
has the bilabial nasal sonarant /m/ for mother and the bilabial stop /p/
for father just as English does. She came up with a version of Vygotsky's
theory of how gesture arises in the child: i.e. it is not that mothers
teach children or that children teach mother but rather some random event
in the environment is exapted for the purpose of communication. This seemed
a perfectly relevant reply to your query, and I am passing it on to you.
Please remember that it is the work of a brillian young aspiring liinguist
who is not yet twenty years old.

The problem with assuming that the evolutionary advantags conferred
by communication "outweighed" or "overcame" the disadvantages of choking on
your dinner is something I call "innaissance": a built-in methodological
innocence of its own bias to innatism.  For example, the last Lieberman
paper I read (circa 1991, when I first started taking Vygotsky seriously)
argued that early man must have had universal grammar as soon as stone
tools were being sliced from long blocks of flint instead of made
piecemeal. This strikes me as far fetched: stone is stone, and sound waves
are not. I think this far-fetchedness comes from a dogmatic interpretation
of evolution, one I would associate with the "Selfish Gene" and Dawkins:
the only thing that could have produced the idea of tools for tools is a
genetic predisposition in that direction, which would also predispose us to
making signs for signs. I think this will also be true of the
archaeological evidence that Andy is pining for: whatever we find, it will
be biased towards a hereditarian explanation. The fact that children left
alone can create something that looks very much like language seems far
more significant to me (see my article in Early Years, referenced below).

I think Darwin himself would have preferred a less dogmatic interpretation
of his theory, one I would associate with exaptation and Gould. In this
interpretation it is indeed possible for mutations that are
"non-adaptative" and inexpedient to last a very long time, and this is what
allows truly complex structures to emerge. This is true at the level of
phylogenesis--it is how a swim bladder evolves into a lung, or a light
sensitive nerve ending becomes an eye. But it is far more true at the level
of sociogenesis, when practices that are currently inexpedient for survival
turn out to have some other purpose that people prize and may or may not
have affordances for a better world. One example would be female genital
mutilation, scarification, and infibulation: it's very inexpedient in terms
of sexual pleasure and even survival, but in Sudan where I lived people
prized it as a kind of rite of passage, demonstrating the ability and
willingness to endure childbirth (the female equivalent of being a boy
scout). In our own society, for the last hundred years or so, the ability
to reproduce has begun to occur earlier and earlier (because of good diet)
while the ability to actually produce gets later and later (because of
education). This isn't adaptative as society is currently constituted, for
the same reason that Facebook is not. But it COULD be highly adaptative in
some better society than the one we live in, and that's how dreams come
true.

Maybe even evolutionary history is composed of "ifs"?

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

Recent Article in *Early Years*

The question of questions: Hasan’s critiques, Vygotsky’s crises, and the
child’s first interrogatives
<https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09575146.2018.1431874>

Free e-print available at:
https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/6EeWMigjFARavQjDJjcW/full