[Xmca-l] Re: Cultural historical

Peter Feigenbaum [Staff] pfeigenbaum@fordham.edu
Mon Mar 19 09:35:35 PDT 2018

Dear colleagues,

The Marxist conception of both societal and linguistic development places
the activities of humans at the center of these developments - but not in a
conscious mode. Both political economy and speech communication arose
without deliberation. They only become (or are becoming) conscious
practices as the process of development proceeds.

It sure would be a leap forward if Activity Theory could accommodate and
elucidate this fact.

My two cents.

(p.s. - I'm glad to be back and participating in these lively discussions
once again!)

In solidarity,
Peter

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 11:36 AM, robsub@ariadne.org.uk <
robsub@ariadne.org.uk> wrote:

> Is there not a sense in which humans do design language? Perhaps our
> ancestors did not deliberately develop the noises they made, but since then
> people do develop their languages to meet particular needs and motives. Are
> we not constantly developing a language to enable discussion of CHAT?
>
> From another angle perhaps while "language" was not designed, "some
> languages" may have been.
>
> Esperanto was deliberately developed for unification purposes.
>
> And Klingon and Na'vi were developed for whatever reasons we might
> attribute - aesthetic, commercial, status seeking....
>
> Or, maybe the issue of when a language becomes a tool is the same as other
> tools. We pick up a rock to smash open a shell; later we smash the rock to
> create one we can hold more easily; later on we rub our new rock against
> another to produce a sharper edge. At what point does the rock become a
> tool?
>
> On 19/03/2018 14:57, David H Kirshner wrote:
>
>> I hope this question is addressed.
>> Language is different from technology in the sense that it has not been
>> designed by humans (who still struggle to understand it's structures).
>> Of course, a rock which is used as a weapon also has not been designed by
>> humans.
>> Still, in picking up a rock to use as a weapon, the wielder is cognizant
>> of its size and shape, and uses it deliberatively and strategically.
>> In some cases, language is used in a similar deliberative and strategic
>> sense to accomplish ends. But as I understand it, the Vygotskian
>> understanding of language as a tool references language in its
>> non-deliberative and strategic deployment, so the usual prescriptions that
>> apply to understanding tools and technologies does not apply.
>> David

>>> DwIDaQ&c=aqMfXOEvEJQh2iQMCb7Wy8l0sPnURkcqADc2guUW8IM&r=mXj3y
>>> hpYNklTxyN3KioIJ0ECmPHilpf4N2p9PBMATWs&m=87L1r2yc_dKUJAd-s4O
>>> QOmXpAqnBvM2mYeg8heDrnxU&s=UGDyItaXb0H7RIcmW3CfQNw0muBaeiOAI
>>> 0IPAeNTKsQ&e=>
>>>
>>> Free e-print available at:
>>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.tan
>>> dfonline.com_eprint_6EeWMigjFARavQjDJjcW_full&d=DwIDaQ&c=aqM

--
Peter Feigenbaum, Ph.D.
Director,

Phone: (718) 817-2243