[Xmca-l] Re: Cultural historical

robsub@ariadne.org.uk robsub@ariadne.org.uk
Mon Mar 19 08:36:04 PDT 2018

Is there not a sense in which humans do design language? Perhaps our
ancestors did not deliberately develop the noises they made, but since
then people do develop their languages to meet particular needs and
motives. Are we not constantly developing a language to enable
discussion of CHAT?

 From another angle perhaps while "language" was not designed, "some
languages" may have been.

Esperanto was deliberately developed for unification purposes.

And Klingon and Na'vi were developed for whatever reasons we might
attribute - aesthetic, commercial, status seeking....

Or, maybe the issue of when a language becomes a tool is the same as
other tools. We pick up a rock to smash open a shell; later we smash the
rock to create one we can hold more easily; later on we rub our new rock
against another to produce a sharper edge. At what point does the rock
become a tool?

On 19/03/2018 14:57, David H Kirshner wrote:
> I hope this question is addressed.
> Language is different from technology in the sense that it has not been designed by humans (who still struggle to understand it's structures).
> Of course, a rock which is used as a weapon also has not been designed by humans.
> Still, in picking up a rock to use as a weapon, the wielder is cognizant of its size and shape, and uses it deliberatively and strategically.
> In some cases, language is used in a similar deliberative and strategic sense to accomplish ends. But as I understand it, the Vygotskian understanding of language as a tool references language in its non-deliberative and strategic deployment, so the usual prescriptions that apply to understanding tools and technologies does not apply.
> David

>>> australia-asia/?utm_source=SAPIENS.org+Subscribers&utm_
>>> campaign=1b31c25316-Email+Blast+12.22.2017&utm_medium=